Overdosed Iodine, should I be worried?

EricTheRed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I rcvd results from an ICP test and Iodine was low. Test showed 16µg/l and recommended is 64µg/l. The recommendation was to add 0.16ml per day over a 3 day period. I guess I wasn't wearing my glasses and I added 1.6ml over 2 days before I realized my mistake. I have 100g of total water volume. I don't have an iodine test kit... is anyone keen enough to figure out what my iodine level would have risen to based on dosing 3.2ml over two days? (I used ATI's iodine)

I added the first 1.6ml yesterday and the second 1.6ml dose a few minutes ago...should I be worried? Are there any signs of distress, whether fish or coral, that I should be looking out for?

Last edited:

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If 0.48ml were supposed to raise your levels by 48ug/l, then with adding 3.2ml you raised it by 320ug/l,which is a ridiculous amount. Not sure where the toxicity level for iodine is, but a waterchange and some activated carbon probably wouldn't hurt.

Chrysemys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious how this turns out.
I looked at a SDS for iodine and your concentrations don’t raise any red flags based on that, but this is a closed system.
I do know that iodine is bound up fairly quickly by organic material. So I’d suspect following the water change and carbon suggestion is a good bet. Iodine reacts very similarly to chlorine, I would think some Prime might bind it up also?
Someone could calculate your iodine concentration, but they would need to know what percentage concentration the iodine solution you added contained.
Again I don’t have sound advice. Those are just thoughts and I hope someone provides you with some experienced answers.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Overdosing Iodine can have serious consequences on your tank, as it is both a strong oxidant as well as bacteriocidal. In other words, if you add too much iodine, you can wipe out your tank. Conclusions If you believe that iodine is necessary to the health of your corals and crustaceans, then you should be adding it to your reef tank. in particular it is harmful to bacteria. Tanks managed with basic methods doesn’t need iodine supplement, since the amount supplied by water changes is sufficient to overcome the modest adsorbing by corals and other organisms.
  • Hi grade carbon such as ROX or Chemipure elite should help deplete the content.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no concern at all (IMO)

ATI says:

1 ml of the supplement increases the iodine concentration of 100 liters by 100 μg/l

You added 3.2 mL to 378 L, so the rise is less than 100 ug/L against a normal level of 60 ug/L.

As an aside, is the additive purplish brown (Lugols, I2 + I-), or mostly clear (iodide, I-). I- is less of a concern since it is not an oxidizer.

OP
OP
EricTheRed

EricTheRed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no concern at all (IMO)

ATI says:

1 ml of the supplement increases the iodine concentration of 100 liters by 100 μg/l

You added 3.2 mL to 378 L, so the rise is less than 100 ug/L against a normal level of 60 ug/L.

As an aside, is the additive purplish brown (Lugols, I2 + I-), or mostly clear (iodide, I-). I- is less of a concern since it is not an oxidizer.
Thank you. The iodine was crystal clear.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back