Overdosed Redsea NO3:PO4 X

  • Thread starter Thread starter cnaegler
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cnaegler

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 29, 2024
Messages
62
Reaction score
15
Location
Sylva
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone,
I started carbon dosing last night but, I obviously didn't get my dosing program setup correctly on my Hydros controller. I attempted to dose only 16 ml/ day of nopox but It didn't program correctly and reverted back to the old program which was for kalk that I had setup for 2000ml of kalk daily. It ended up dumping an entire liter of the no3po4x into my 400 gallon tank in less than 24 hours. I have a bacterial bloom occurring so I mixed up the only 50 gallons of available water I have but I have to wait for it to heat up to the correct temp. I turned my power heads to the surface so it churns. I also added an air stone right under an MP 60 so it creating a million microbubbles until I can get another 50 gallons of water made up. Is there anything else I can do to try to save my fish? They look fine as of 11:00 pm this evening. I'm hoping they'll make it until I can get another 50 gallons made up in the morning so I can do a 100 gallon (25%) water change on the morning. Amy help would be appreciated
 
Hey everyone,
I started carbon dosing last night but, I obviously didn't get my dosing program setup correctly on my Hydros controller. I attempted to dose only 16 ml/ day of nopox but It didn't program correctly and reverted back to the old program which was for kalk that I had setup for 2000ml of kalk daily. It ended up dumping an entire liter of the no3po4x into my 400 gallon tank in less than 24 hours. I have a bacterial bloom occurring so I mixed up the only 50 gallons of available water I have but I have to wait for it to heat up to the correct temp. I turned my power heads to the surface so it churns. I also added an air stone right under an MP 60 so it creating a million microbubbles until I can get another 50 gallons of water made up. Is there anything else I can do to try to save my fish? They look fine as of 11:00 pm this evening. I'm hoping they'll make it until I can get another 50 gallons made up in the morning so I can do a 100 gallon (25%) water change on the morning. Amy help would be appreciated
When I had a big overdose (not as big as yours) Randy suggested not doing a big water change. 25% won’t change your outcome. Aeration is key. Also watch your nutrients which are likely to bottom out.
 
Same. Randy had me do the same, Aeration was huge. I had to boost nutrients to prevent the spawn of satan visiting my tank, took about 10 days and was back to normal.
 
So, I shouldn't do anything but let it ride out? It's been around 36 hours since it's happened and all my fish seem to be ok. They didn't like all the micro bubbles from the air stone and MP60 so I cut it off. The ph tried to drop when I cut off the lights so I've left them on overnight. My orange shoulder is still eating nori. This morning. The chromis seem a little freaked out by the cloudiness and they kinda moving around a little more than usual. I can smell the nopox in the water. My filter socks are slimy and I'm going through them pretty quick.
 
My thought is the lights on all night is stressful. How low was pH dropping? I would turn off lights personally.

I would aerate a much as possible. If you don’t want air bubbles in tank, put it in the sump. The more the better. Assuming you have a skimmer? That helps too.

Nutrients will be dropping like crazy. You will likely need to dose nitrate and phosphate.
 
I don't mind the air bubbles but the fish seem pretty stressed out by them. I'll put the airstone in front of a power head I have in the sump to keep the fish happy. The PH didn't get too low when I caught them. Lower than it usually does though. It got to 7.98 before I saw it and turned the lights back on. My nitrates were at 50 ppm when I started out. I do have a bottle of nitrate and PO4 where I originally had to start dosing them to keep things from bottoming out. So, I should be good on those. I had a huge GHA issue for about 6 months. I finally got rid of it but in the process, it released a lot of nitrates back into the water column.
 
I don't mind the air bubbles but the fish seem pretty stressed out by them. I'll put the airstone in front of a power head I have in the sump to keep the fish happy. The PH didn't get too low when I caught them. Lower than it usually does though. It got to 7.98 before I saw it and turned the lights back on. My nitrates were at 50 ppm when I started out. I do have a bottle of nitrate and PO4 where I originally had to start dosing them to keep things from bottoming out. So, I should be good on those. I had a huge GHA issue for about 6 months. I finally got rid of it but in the process, it released a lot of nitrates back into the water column.
Ok. Nitrate started elevated so not a major concern but PO4 should be watched.

I would not keep lights on 24 hrs.
 
The fish seem to be doing okay. It's still cloudy. I have an air stone pumping bubbles into the mp60 to keep it aerated as best as I can. I have a xf350 gyre pointed up towards the surface .The skimmer is churning out gooey,snotty slime. I've been changing out the filter socks every time they clog. I'm going to just start doing water changes, I guess. I'm going to try to minimize the amount of carbon in the water
 
The fish seem to be doing okay. It's still cloudy. I have an air stone pumping bubbles into the mp60 to keep it aerated as best as I can. I have a xf350 gyre pointed up towards the surface .The skimmer is churning out gooey,snotty slime. I've been changing out the filter socks every time they clog. I'm going to just start doing water changes, I guess. I'm going to try to minimize the amount of carbon in the water

I would not assume any organic is left in the water, since there are huge amounts of bacteria to consume it.

IMO, the biggest risk now is nutrients bottoming out and stressing corals.

Have you measured nitrate and phosphate?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new