Overfeeding over rated????

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the subject surmises, is it?

I am battling low to non existent READABLE NO3/PO4.

I started overfeeding to attempt raising, and the only real side affect I've seen (drumroll please..............) is ALGAE!

To ward off cyano and Dino's, I'll keep overfeeding and will "live" with the "good" algae, BUT, what I'm guessing is ALSO happening is the algae is consuming the nutrients before they register on the tests.

Thoughts???

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a good amount of algae present, then any tests for No3/PO4 are going to be inaccurate.
That does not make any sense. Your system may be processing more NO3/PO4 when you have a "good amount of algae", but that will not impact the tests. The amount of measurable NO3/PO4 are independent of what you have growing in your tank.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does not make any sense. Your system may be processing more NO3/PO4 when you have a "good amount of algae", but that will not impact the tests. The amount of measurable NO3/PO4 are independent of what you have growing in your tank.
If X NO3 & PO4 are getting input into the tank, and the coral and algae are QUICKLY uptaking the full amount X, I don't believe you'd be able to measure any "free" nutrients in the water.

What I'm saying is, I'm chasing measurable NO4/PO4 to avoid cyano/Dino's, BUT, it may be futile since the algae will keep happily taking any and all nutrients I input.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am battling low to non existent READABLE NO3/PO4.

I started overfeeding to attempt raising, and the only real side affect I've seen (drumroll please..............) is ALGAE!

To ward off cyano and Dino's, I'll keep overfeeding and will "live" with the "good" algae
The least disruptive way to push PO4 / NO3 up to a modest range is to ... dose PO4 / NO3.
Overfeeding causes unpredictable results. Some find that their system reponds well to higher inputs (if the system can increase exports also). But most find that it grows more nuisance with no end in sight.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The least disruptive way to push PO4 / NO3 up to a modest range is to ... dose PO4 / NO3.
Overfeeding causes unpredictable results. Some find that their system reponds well to higher inputs (if the system can increase exports also). But most find that it grows more nuisance with no end in sight.
I agree with this, but first you've got to tackle your algae problem with a combo of manual removal, water changes, and somewhat reduced feeding. Keep monitoring your nutrients during all of this. When you feel like the algae is tamed, you can trust your nutrient readings more---and start dialing in target nutrient levels by dosing as Taricha suggested.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember any testing you do is a snapshot of the water column at that point in time.....if there are no available free nutrients because they are being consumed, then you will test 0, even though you are overfeeding the fish and therefore feeding the algae.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The presence of algae is an indication that there is enough nutrients for most corals and likely also to prevent dinos, so the need for dosing or feeding more is not that high.

Remember that not all zero values are the same. With a hobby test, 0.01 and 0.000000001 phosphate can both read the same.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The presence of algae is an indication that there is enough nutrients for most corals and likely also to prevent dinos, so the need for dosing or feeding more is not that high.

Remember that not all zero values are the same. With a hobby test, 0.01 and 0.000000001 phosphate can both read the same.
I also believe the explosion of Red Planaria Flatworms also may be indicative I have more than enough nutrients in the tank and need to throttle it back!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back