Overflow plumbing

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got a new 155g Planet Aquarium tank with center external overflow and have a question for plumbing it. It has 2- 1" bulkheads in center and 2-3/4" bulkheads on the ends ( for the returns i guess).

Should I use a coupler below the bulkhead to increase pipe size to 1.25" or 1.5"?
( If I do this it will likely have to be reduced at the pipe that enters the sump- trigger systems sump )

some pics of the tank...

IMG_1034.JPG
IMG_1035.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG

Thanks for any advice you can offer, Eric

OP
OP
moreef

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry if this was confusing. I guess my question is should I just use 1" pvc pipe from bottom of bulkhead to the sump?
Or should I increase diameter of pipe to 1.25" or 1.5" to allow for more flow?

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really wont allow for more flow if the bulk head is 1" that is all the flow that is going to pass. I personally do make the pulmbing bigger than the bulk head just incase a snal or something gets in there you have a little wiggle room. Also are you sure you got these bulk heads sizes correct as the ones in the middle look bigger than the ones on the out side and not near a size difference to go from 1" to 2.75". Typically in the standard setup the drains are bigger than the returns to make sure the water being pumped in the tank will drain. If it were me I would look to see if you have the space to do a bean animal style overflow but it dont look like you do. Either way I would make them all drains and have the return go over the back of the tank. This would give you plenty of back up if one got plugged up somehow.

OP
OP
moreef

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks bobman for the reply. The 2 middle holes are 1" bulkheads for the drains and outside holes are 3/4" for dual returns inside the overflow box for clean look. I think I will just run 1" drains to the sump and be done with it. If increasing pipe size from bottom bulkhead to the sump won't increase capacity than why bother.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that yes you will not increase flow by upping pipe size as the bulkhead is you limiting factor however any 90 elbows and 45 elbow will restrict a little flow by increasing pipe size you eliminate that as an potential issue along with if a snail gets in there it will also restrict flow again the bigger the pipe the less of an issue it becomes

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem usually with 1" I step it up to 1.25" could go to 1.5" like I have now for a warm fuzzy feeling but dont think it is needed

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back