Overflow questions for a 30 gal IM

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wfduncan89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

Wfduncan89

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 5, 2021
Messages
54
Reaction score
25
Location
Charleston
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Innovative Marine 30 gal long (not yet drilled/not AIO), I'm looking to set it up with a DIY 20 gal sump using a drilled overflow box and an ebay baffle kit. I've looked at the Eshopps and the modular marine overflow boxes. I like the modular marine, but it comes standard with 1/2" drain bulkheads with the option of requesting a custom size.
My main questions for this forum are will a 1/2" drain work for this set up or should I size up the drain bulkheads to 3/4" or 1" if possible? I'm new to the plumbing side of things.

and

I have not yet purchased my return pump, what should I look for? Any recommendations?

Couple of notes of possible relevance:
my current plan is for this to be an LPS dominate tank, with just a few easier SPS hopefully(stylo, montis, etc..).
I currently have a 25 gal lagoon and a 350 red sea reefer...plan is to sell those and put my efforts into one more manageable system and hopefully cover some of the cost of this system.
I'm planning on keeping a golden dwarf moray and a few corals from my current systems.

Any general suggestions, thoughts, advice, or ideas for this build?
 
It really depends on how you get your flow.
You don’t need much flow for the filtering system to work. Power heads will be my first choice for flow, in a LPS SPS tank
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new