Overnight deaths. How can I rescue the survivors?

MelodiB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battling something and pretty new at this hobby. Have an API test kit but cant check posphates. This morning everything is dead or dying in my 13g. My zoas look ok and the duncan seems alive. Not sure about the GSP.

What can I do? Considering getting a quick 5g set up for the survivors then tearing down the 13.5g and starting over with new sand, boiling rock and anything that will stand it, and scrubbing everything else. Filling with new premix tropic marin from LFS. I don't know what else to do. Not sure what I'm battling here - just desperate to save the corals. Can I put them in a clean (only used for water changes) bucket with the lights over the top? Not really wanting a new tank but open to it. Can always use a quarantine. problem is LFS closed today and I'm pretty desperate Guess I really have nothing to lose.
Any thoughts on how to save them?

OP
OP
MelodiB

MelodiB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battling something and pretty new at this hobby. Have an API test kit but cant check posphates. This morning everything is dead or dying in my 13g. My zoas look ok and the duncan seems alive. Not sure about the GSP.

What can I do? Considering getting a quick 5g set up for the survivors then tearing down the 13.5g and starting over with new sand, boiling rock and anything that will stand it, and scrubbing everything else. Filling with new premix tropic marin from LFS. I don't know what else to do. Not sure what I'm battling here - just desperate to save the corals. Can I put them in a clean (only used for water changes) bucket with the lights over the top? Not really wanting a new tank but open to it. Can always use a quarantine. problem is LFS closed today and I'm pretty desperate Guess I really have nothing to lose.
Here's some photos of what's been growing relentlessly

Attachments

• 20210323_100722.jpg
    20210323_100722.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210323_100715.jpg
    20210323_100715.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210323_100632.jpg
    20210323_100632.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210323_100616.jpg
    20210323_100616.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210323_100609.jpg
    20210323_100609.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 0
OP
OP
MelodiB

MelodiB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you params? Is api all you have to check water? They are notoriously bad
Yes, unfortunately. I know i need something better now but will have to wait. I need to be able to test phosphates and if i have to buy a QT tank then there goes all the extra money I once had

Upvote 0

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Brandon might have an idea.

Upvote 0

Dan1788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having a big PH swing at night hence the deaths.
Where in the house is the tank located?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You can set up a temporary tank utilizing a rubbermaid tub. This type of sudden death are contributed by:
-disease
- water quality
- stray voltage

API kits are not reliable and have let down many reefers. I would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that is hopefully not using API kits and see what readings they come up with. Assuming this is a newer tank,
How many fish did you have in the tank ?
Age of tank ?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet?
Tank temp and salinity ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MelodiB

MelodiB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can set up a temporary tank utilizing a rubbermaid tub. This type of sudden death are contributed by:
-disease
- water quality
- stray voltage

API kits are not reliable and have let down many reefers. I would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that is hopefully not using API kits and see what readings they come up with. Assuming this is a newer tank,
How many fish did you have in the tank ?
Age of tank ?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet?
Tank temp and salinity ?
Thanks for the advice. I'm at least not standing around just waiting any more. All remaining critters are in my water change only bucket and already looking much better.

I don't know what it is. Something nasty and slimy through the entire tank. It's clear and easy to miss until it starts forming the strings. My sand is full of debris but I haven't had any problems at all.
Tank set up in June 2020. Cycled until August. Added cuc (3 astreas, 2 turbos, hermit crab and emerald crab). A few months later, a goby and pistol. In Dec I added 3 coral frags and a peppermint.

I use Tropic Marin saltwater I buy in 5 gallon jugs. Temp set at 72. Salinity at 1.021-1.026. I take my water to LFS for testing 1x a month and before adding anything.

Could a volt have killed all but the coral and inverts?

Upvote 0

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'd agree on temp and salinity. Want it at least 1.023 but closer to 1.025. Some animals are more sensitive than others to deviation from natural seawater. And 72 is unusually low. Without knowing other parameters it's hard to say what it is specifically. I would agree with the others and probably invest in a more reliable test kit for those unknown parameters. I really like the Nyos nitrate test kit (fairly clear, with a somewhat broad range) but affordable and with a better reputation than API.

Upvote 0

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank pictures don't look too bad. It looks to me like bacteria which could lead to low oxygen and fish death.

25% Water changes would be my 1st approach.

Upvote 1

Hubert J. Farnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
couple points, some already made:

**** please don't, don't, don't boil any rocks that may have zoanthids or palythoas on them. you run the risk of palytoxin exposure.

your temp is too low and those salinity swings are too steep. one factor is enough stress, but two stress factors are too much and compounding things.

do you have any other water movement than the return pump? more flow will help with oxygenation and help keep the bacteria/stringy stuff from settling on your inverts, which will help prevent the stuff from settling on and stressing your corals.

hope this helps.

Upvote 1

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Heres where you want to be:

Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .4
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
mG 1300
Alk 8-9
CA 440

Upvote 0

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres where you want to be:

Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .4
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
mG 1300
Alk 8-9
CA 440

For a 13g tank, I would target your salt mix parameters which may or not be listed above.

It's very easy to use larger water changes to maintain good water conditions.

If you are using TMP, your ASW will mix to 7dKHish. Other parameters will be different as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MelodiB

MelodiB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having a big PH swing at night hence the deaths.
Where in the house is the tank located?
I haven't thought to check. API kit has constantly registered within normal parameters. Going to invest in a new one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MelodiB

MelodiB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'd agree on temp and salinity. Want it at least 1.023 but closer to 1.025. Some animals are more sensitive than others to deviation from natural seawater. And 72 is unusually low. Without knowing other parameters it's hard to say what it is specifically. I would agree with the others and probably invest in a more reliable test kit for those unknown parameters. I really like the Nyos nitrate test kit (fairly clear, with a somewhat broad range) but affordable and with a better reputation than API.
Hey thanks. I appreciate that. I didn't realize when i bought it that API has such a bad rep.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MelodiB

MelodiB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
couple points, some already made:

**** please don't, don't, don't boil any rocks that may have zoanthids or palythoas on them. you run the risk of palytoxin exposure.

your temp is too low and those salinity swings are too steep. one factor is enough stress, but two stress factors are too much and compounding things.

do you have any other water movement than the return pump? more flow will help with oxygenation and help keep the bacteria/stringy stuff from settling on your inverts, which will help prevent the stuff from settling on and stressing your cora
Tank pictures don't look too bad. It looks to me like bacteria which could lead to low oxygen and fish death.

25% Water changes would be my 1st approach.

I do have other water movement. Pics are not doing justice. It's already growing in my temp bucket. Already did a water change Sunday and I swear it is 10x worse. Taking a water sample to LFS tomorrow. Pretty sure it is some type of bacteria, just no idea what. It's persistent.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MelodiB

MelodiB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also know not to boil zoas LOL. I scrubbed the rock zoas are on with toothbrush and as stated, its already reforming and growing in my bucket. This stuff took over in 3 days. LFS closed until tomorrow. I'll be there as soon as its open for more water. Will raise temp on tank. Not bothering to change water at this point - it appears toxic because everyone still alive is doing much better in the bucket. I started siphoning but this stuff is mighty invasive. I may have to get a small QT tank until I can get it cleaned up. Will know more tomorrow afternoon and will update everyone. Thanks again for all the help.

Upvote 0

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also know not to boil zoas LOL. I scrubbed the rock zoas are on with toothbrush and as stated, its already reforming and growing in my bucket. This stuff took over in 3 days. LFS closed until tomorrow. I'll be there as soon as its open for more water. Will raise temp on tank. Not bothering to change water at this point - it appears toxic because everyone still alive is doing much better in the bucket. I started siphoning but this stuff is mighty invasive. I may have to get a small QT tank until I can get it cleaned up. Will know more tomorrow afternoon and will update everyone. Thanks again for all the help.

A 5gal bucket is a small qt tank. ;)

Upvote 0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 107 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back