Oversized GFO Bag

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recieved a bag of PuriResin (I think it's just GFO) for free through an Amazon program called Vine. I thought it would come in a mesh bag where I could remove some of the GFO in order to get the right amount for my 20 gallon reef, but the bag is a sealed cloth pouch. One bag treats 100 gallons. What's the protocol here? Do I put an oversized bag in or do I reduce the contents? A quick Google search gave mixed results ranging from it should be fine to it will kill all my corals.

Shroom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t overdo GFO because you can drop your Po4 to zero and kill stuff. Follow recommended quantities of gfo/g

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know nothing of tbe product. What are you trying to control with it would be my question?
I'm trying to control phosphates specifically (2 ppm now but was at 5ppm at the peak of the issue) but I also have medium to high nitrates (20-30ppm) and would like to lower them too. Someone on the forums recommended this stuff as one of the solutions because I was asking for help with my cyano and hair algae problems. I also reduced feeding, cut out pellets almost entirely in favor of frozen foods, increased the amount of water I remove in my weekly water changes, and stopped feeding phosphate rich coral foods, but my levels still aren't dropping to where I want them and the cyano is only getting worse. I was basically told to do the other stuff first, then try this as a last resort, and the other stuff didn't prove effective enough.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like purigen. Imo purigen does very little in saltwater tanks. It does nothing for phosphate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back