Overwhelmed with flow choices

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180g standard 6' tank currently has two MP60s for flow. With my rock and coral layout it is lacking. I've moved them around and cannot find something that satisfies me without blowing too much sand around. I feel like the ability to only point them 90 degrees from the glass is limiting.

So I'm considering a few options. Remove the MP60s and replace with one of the following:

Two Neptune WAV. I have a 2016 apex with two open ports on my eb832. I hear the flow on these is a bit superior to vortech, and I can angle them.

Two tunze 6105, would need vdm module etc to control with apex. Can be angled, also seem to have better flow characteristics.

Two gyre xf250 with icecap modules to connect to apex. Most expensive option, but I hear the 2nd gen gyres fixed a lot of problems from the 1st gen. I also read these have the best flow.

I've only ever used vortech. Help me jump ship and try something new!

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I will tell you that I really like my gyres, I have the X-150s running with the new XF controller and nowhere in my tank is there any detritus buildup. They also never are at full strength as the sand in my 125 would go everywhere.

I have helped install a couple tanks with the new Apex and the WAVs and have to say they are awesome. They actually don't take up any space on your EB832 as it is recommended to just plug them in the wall, they get controlled from the module. They are super easy to install and adjust directions pretty easily.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion. I've researched this very topic through and through. There's some questionable reviews on the WAV's in the BRS reviews feed that scared me away, and don't even get me started on Ecotech's products. There's numerous disturbing threads here as of late in addition to my own horrific experience with Ecotech. I'm personally Tunze all the way.

jenkinscrew2578

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving my gyres, I use the controller it comes with and just plug into my eb8. Saves money not buying the module and you get all the pre-programmed flow modes.
03d11266edbcd8e9ac5c0aaf4868cb20.jpg

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion. I've researched this very topic through and through. There's some questionable reviews on the WAV's in the BRS reviews feed that scared me away, and don't even get me started on Ecotech's products. There's numerous disturbing threads here as of late in addition to my own horrific experience with Ecotech. I'm personally Tunze all the way.

1) Tunze is awesome
2) Know a guy with WAV's, he loves 'em, recently was Marine Depot's featured tank
3) Same with EcoTech -- Will not buy anything from them again

Otherwise -- I really like Sicce. Their pumps are giant blocks the size of small dog/large rat, but they are stellar. Great flow pattern on the Voyagers. Getting rid of them was my biggest mistake yet. My corals never had better PE

Psymon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought the WAV to replace my MP40 and MP10 respectively, I have been really impressed with the flow, the ability to angle the flow right into the rock work, even the programming seems superior to Ecotech. And so quiet...
I also really like that i can take the pimp out of water and it just switch off! Wow. Such a nifty feature.
I would say if you already have the New Apex (I have the old) it makes sense to go WAV, just from a per pump price point.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have WAV's and run them on a 135 gallon. Their flow pattern is more concise, or the flow is narrower, while Ecotech has a broad swath of water movement. With the WAV's, you would be happy as they will reach to the other side of your 6 footer, but keep in mind that essentially they move the same amount of water as the MP60, but they just shoot a narrower beam of water, so you'll feel it across the tank. Even with a smaller tank than you, and being a huge proponent of the WAV's, I would also recommend that you take a look at the Gyre's with the ability to connect to Apex. I think they will move the water that you want to move, without causing a sandstorm. The WAV's can create a sandstorm if you don't point them correctly, since they have such a narrow swath of water that gets moved.
Or you could get one Gyre on one side and two WAV's on the other, which would allow for some seriously cool water patterns. What I am looking at is replacing two WAV's in my tank with a Gyre, so I would have two WAV's on one side and a Gyre on the other.
For your situation, if you wanted to save money, you could get a Gyre for one side, and move both MP60's to the other side, placing them close to each other, so they assisted each other in moving water. Either way, I recommend a Gyre for your tank.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't need the 1link module for a 2016 apex. It's already got the ports. I'd rather plug them into the eb832 than have to buy the 1link.
I know in theory that the WAVs should be able to go straight to the 1Link ports on the EB832 but hadn't seen anyone do that yet. That would push me to get myself a WAV much faster.

ThreeAces_1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you look into "Sea swirl" or "Sea sweep" I think adding one might let you keep your existing setup with the added benefit of random flow.

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have WAV's and run them on a 135 gallon. Their flow pattern is more concise, or the flow is narrower, while Ecotech has a broad swath of water movement. With the WAV's, you would be happy as they will reach to the other side of your 6 footer, but keep in mind that essentially they move the same amount of water as the MP60, but they just shoot a narrower beam of water, so you'll feel it across the tank. Even with a smaller tank than you, and being a huge proponent of the WAV's, I would also recommend that you take a look at the Gyre's with the ability to connect to Apex. I think they will move the water that you want to move, without causing a sandstorm. The WAV's can create a sandstorm if you don't point them correctly, since they have such a narrow swath of water that gets moved.
Or you could get one Gyre on one side and two WAV's on the other, which would allow for some seriously cool water patterns. What I am looking at is replacing two WAV's in my tank with a Gyre, so I would have two WAV's on one side and a Gyre on the other.
For your situation, if you wanted to save money, you could get a Gyre for one side, and move both MP60's to the other side, placing them close to each other, so they assisted each other in moving water. Either way, I recommend a Gyre for your tank.
I have 2x WAVs on my 4ft x 2ft x 2ft 120. I agree, theyre ridiculously powerful. I have mine on the back wall pointing up and forward. Seems to be the only way to prevent a sandstorm and I cant turn them up past 1%. I wish I could turn them up more, but sand goes everywhere. Once they start getting dirty and need a cleaning I can turn them up to 5%, but after a cleaning back to 1%. I sized them to work with a 6ft ot 8ft tank so I am ready for my next upgrade.

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The WAV was built to directly compete with the MP40s and MP60s as they are pretty much the industry standard and have been for some time. Ive heard the quiet drives are great, but the older ones were a bit loud. If you have an Apex, WAV is worth considering. If not, MP40s or MP60s can run stand alone or integrate with Apex as well. The WAVs takes less wires and gives a cleaner install than MPs, but the MPs have a wet side, dry side concept. I say either is good, but I have WAV for cleaner install with Apex. Like I said, theyre really powerful and are somewhere between an MP40 and MP60 in comparison.

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The WAV was built to directly compete with the MP40s and MP60s as they are pretty much the industry standard and have been for some time. Ive heard the quiet drives are great, but the older ones were a bit loud. If you have an Apex, WAV is worth considering. If not, MP40s or MP60s can run stand alone or integrate with Apex as well. The WAVs takes less wires and gives a cleaner install than MPs, but the MPs have a wet side, dry side concept. I say either is good, but I have WAV for cleaner install with Apex. Like I said, theyre really powerful and are somewhere between an MP40 and MP60 in comparison.
My one concern on the WAV is I'll end up in a similar situation with flow. I could get 3 of them. Though right now I'm leaning towards two of the Gyre XF250s.

What's wrong with ecotech?
I already have two MP60wqd. But I have a very full aquascape and coral setup and their inability to go any direction other than 90 degrees from the glass is really limiting my options. I had 3x MP40wqd and those were underpowered. For me I'd rather sell the MP60s and buy a different solution.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the gyre 130 and it pushes a ton of water. IMO the gyre moves the water column a lot better than conventional powerheads.

I also have mp10, which is great but has a more narrow flow pattern.
I've never had problems ecotech though. I didn't know there were horror stories.

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered two XF250 gyres, got them through amazon so if they suck I have 30 days to send back. My other option would be 3x WAVs I think, but we'll see how the gyre do. For my rock scaping and coral placement I need WIDE flow. Now to sell my MP60s!

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have two XF250 set up, one on each side of the tank horizontally and directly across from each other. I have them near the top and I have the cages pointed basically straight out so the flow goes just over the tops of my SPS. When I had it angled lower my SPS polyps retracted as the direct flow was too much. Problem is I feel like I'm not getting enough indirect flow to my SPS. I have the gyres set to LTC 80% max, 20% min.

Suggestions?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 167 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back