Oxydators and their fight against parasites.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll I just injected a bit of it with vinegar. If that doesn't work I will go for battery acid, anthrax, Agent Orange, Napalm etc.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try hydrogen peroxide next. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try hydrogen peroxide next. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Am sure hydrogen peroxide will kill it however, how much and at what strength required is the issue. Also It might only kill it locally after injection plus it may still release the toxins held within so be careful and go with caution.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, that is no problem. If the tank crashes I will spend my time bungee jumping or looking up recipes for those little packets that read "Do Not Eat".

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greeting @atoll and others. I've read all the pages of this thread.
Nuisance algae is mentioned but there seems to be more focus on disease. Does anyone run an oxidator just for algae control?
I made a personal commitment years ago that forums will be the extent of my social media so I do not participate in anything facebook related.
Neither do I.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I’m missing anything by not belonging to Facebook. Personally I don’t trust it. But to each their own.
I mean it's a shame because the Oxydator user group is very friendly and there is lots of good info about Oxydators which will answer 95% of questions people ask. Facebook is the good the bad and the ugly but then so is the net.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll agree with you there, but it’s the bad and ugly); I’ve read a lot of threads on the Oxidator . I’ve employed a D model recently using 6%on a 40 gallon (appropriately since I haven’t weighed the Tonga branch) The plastic is kind of iffy, I don’t see it lasting years without a hiccup, so I’ve just ordered the A model. The first day there was a noticeable improvement.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll agree with you there, but it’s the bad and ugly); I’ve read a lot of threads on the Oxidator . I’ve employed a D model recently using 6%on a 40 gallon (appropriately since I haven’t weighed the Tonga branch) The plastic is kind of iffy, I don’t see it lasting years without a hiccup, so I’ve just ordered the A model. The first day there was a noticeable improvement.
The only issue with the D is you have to ensure the press on cap is properly secured and locked in place on the ceramic base.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no need to go on facebook either. I have a face and I wrote a book, so I'm good. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no need to go on facebook either. I have a face and I wrote a book, so I'm good. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I use Facebook for a number of things. Buy and sell. Some other forums and a couple of local area forums for whats going on around here. Most people steer clear of the bad. I am on reefkeeping forums but hardly ever ask for information as there are too many nobs who talk rubbish giving nonsense advice.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,wich model I need for 1400 l( 370 gallon)?Is it better than ozon?
You will need the model W. Using 3 catalysts.
Ozone, peroxide, which is better. I used ozone before discovering Oxydator's many years ago. All a matter of opinions but for me at least the Oxydator has much to recommend it over ozone.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need the model W. Using 3 catalysts.
Ozone, peroxide, which is better. I used ozone before discovering Oxydator's many years ago. All a matter of opinions but for me at least the Oxydator has much to recommend it over ozone.
Will the W not be too much as it is given for 4000l? It really helps against parasite ? Because even with uv and ozon I got an outbreak

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the W not be too much as it is given for 4000l? It really helps against parasite ? Because even with uv and ozon I got an outbreak
The manufacturers of Oxydators give ratings for freshwater but not saltwater. I have been experimenting with Oxydator's in reef aquariums for nearly 40 years and ny recommendations are for saltwater are based on all those years.
May I suggest you join the Oxydator user group on Facebook and read up on Oxydator's in the files section on how they can help fight parasites like itch.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use it with copper in the QT ? I lost last month near all fish because of a quick sickness :( . Could just save 4 fish wich are now in a QT with cupramine since around 3 weeks.They seems all fine but not the hepathus wich is still covered with white spots and the copper not seems to help him at all.I did also bath him in rally reef,osmose water,prazyquantel,but nothing seems to work,so I will give a shot to the oxydator. How fast it works ?I have it inside the tank since two days.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never use an oxydator with medication and I guess I never will. There is a simple reason for that, I have never had to resort to medication in all the 40 years I have been using Oxydator's.
However, I would ask the question in the chemistry forum as I am unsure of what reactions may take place with the likes of copper.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never use an oxydator with medication and I guess I never will. There is a simple reason for that, I have never had to resort to medication in all the 40 years I have been using Oxydator's.
However, I would ask the question in the chemistry forum as I am unsure of what reactions may take place with the likes of copper.
Yes but has I already have the problem before, no choice.I had 20 years no fish problem no oxydator,no UV ..but then last month..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back