The use of Oxydator's to fight itch. For the doubters...mainly.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read, and may convince people to give it a try?
Well yes but not written by me. However, the author praises and recommends the use of Oxydators to eradicate itch. Well worth a read esp for the doubters

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone has claimed that a strong oxidizer can't kill ich in the free-floating stage. But can it kill enough of it fast enough to prevent re-infection?

All this article is describing is ich management. Plenty of people run ich management tanks and lose their fish to velvet instead, myself included.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve studied oxidizers in marine aquariums since 1986. I have not used an Oxydator, but I’m very familiar with the principles involved. I would strongly urge people considering this device to rely on it as only one part of a more complete ich management technique, and NOT rely on it for curing moderate disease.

To put it in perspective - not a single book or paper in my fish disease library mentions this technique - so why would I consider this one web site to be an authoritative source?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It clearly states that it will not kill parasites but control them and how do you control a parasite that knowingly reproduces as long as there is a host fish within its reach?
Peroxide has been spoken about the last few months and without insult to anyone is merely a shortcut that seems easier and is due to persons getting lazy with setting up quarantine and medicating 30 days because they cant bother to set up a hospital tank or 30 days is too long and they want to avoid fallow for 6 weeks (which goes by quickly).
Its also a core belief that in conjunction with peroxide, adding a UV sterilizer is the ultimate combo for ich management when in reality, the UV unit quickly breaks down peroxide and it will strip parasites from the fish.
UV units address what is free floating and passes through its water channel.
We have to stop procrastinating and follow through with proper treatment after all. . .. Disease is on US, not the fish

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Oxydators in a number of reef aquariums for 40 years. I have bought fish from many LFSs since and never QTd. Since employing Oxydator's I have never had a single serious outbreak of any sort of parasite and yet I have introduced fish with itch on any number of occasions which simply cleared with no other fish showing signs of it. Why would I use anything else along with quality foods.
Previous I used Ozone and UV but once I discovered Oxydator's I stopped using them.
PS I believe it kills the spores/ free swimming stage of itch.
Nothing to do with "can't be bothered" it's my preferred method and believe superior to QT which I don't believe in.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone has claimed that a strong oxidizer can't kill ich in the free-floating stage. But can it kill enough of it fast enough to prevent re-infection?

All this article is describing is ich management. Plenty of people run ich management tanks and lose their fish to velvet instead, myself included.
Count me as one of those people...learned this lesson many years ago and have not made that mistake again.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I make that claim based on 40 years running Oxydator's in many tanks and seeing the results of doing so. I am not alone of course I have friends in the UK who report the same as well as others throughout Europe, the USA and other countries.
Apart from the Oxydator's, good foods and correct aquascaping I use no other form of itch management or eradication.

jmoneyyy703

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just had a major ich/velvet break out in one of tanks. Does ich/velvet continue to survive with inverts? No fish in tank. Attempting to fallow 6 weeks and hitting with UV/polyp medic for next month as well. I could do ozone too but maybe pain to setup.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a major ich/velvet break out in one of tanks. Does ich/velvet continue to survive with inverts? No fish in tank. Attempting to fallow 6 weeks and hitting with UV/polyp medic for next month as well. I could do ozone too but maybe pain to setup.
Might be best posting your question as a new thread rather this one about Oxydator's. I have little recent (as in the last 40 years) experience with any parasites. You will probably get a better response by posting the question on another thread.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does ich/velvet continue to survive with inverts?
No, that's the whole point of going fallow. Ich and velvet both require fish hosts to survive.

I don't see how UV would matter. It's not going to shorten the fallow period.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a human doctor I am firm believer in a rule that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Surely you can apply it both ways here and say that Oxydator in my tank would prevent ich outbreak.
I prefer different interpretation and I would rather follow current QT protocol with copper and other meds to prevent and/or treat parasitic diseases of saltwater fish. It would give me close to 100% guarantee that they are disease free.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back