Copper

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently treating ich in QT

I Was going to do hyposalinity but then realised that my refractometer doesn't read below 1.015 SG, so I purchased a new one that reads down to 0.000 SG. It arrived broken and was unusable. Then I managed to get a copper treatment from my LFS.

The main thing I don't understand is the lack of info online / reviews with the specific treatment I am using, which is NTLabs anti-parasite, which is based in the UK and not very well known in the US.

I do not have a copper test kit, but am on day 3 of dosing the copper treatment which I know is not a good idea not to test, but is the only way to treat the growing case of ich. What I don't understand is that the dosing instructions are over an 11 day period, and then the dosing ends and has no instruction of whether to leave it or remove the medication. I do know that treating ich needs 14-30 days when using copper as far as I know.

I should also note that this treatment includes formalin, which could explain why it's only over an 11 day period, however this is my first time using copper and I am simply following the instructions, and this is the only copper based medication I could get my hands on easily.

I have contacted NTLabs and asked about what to do after the 11 days are over since I have no idea what to do after.

Any info would be very helpful
Thanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I Was going to do hyposalinity but then realised that my refractometer doesn't read below 1.015 SG, so I purchased a new one that reads down to 0.000 SG. It arrived broken and was unusable. Then I managed to get a copper treatment from my LFS.

The main thing I don't understand is the lack of info online / reviews with the specific treatment I am using, which is NTLabs anti-parasite, which is based in the UK and not very well known in the US.

I do not have a copper test kit, but am on day 3 of dosing the copper treatment which I know is not a good idea not to test, but is the only way to treat the growing case of ich. What I don't understand is that the dosing instructions are over an 11 day period, and then the dosing ends and has no instruction of whether to leave it or remove the medication. I do know that treating ich needs 14-30 days when using copper as far as I know. This is why I am concerned about the effectiveness about this treatment.

I should also note that this treatment includes formalin, which could explain why it's only over an 11 day period, however this is my first time using copper and I am simply following the instructions, and this is the only copper based medication I could get my hands on easily.

I have contacted NTLabs and asked about what to do after the 11 days are over since I have no idea what to do after.

Thanks
Not sure anyone can answer whether that particular product is good or bad - and no one can answer why no one has seemed to review it positive or negative. However from what I found - there is a marine version - and in the instructions it says "
Anti-Bacterial contains powerful ingredients to kill bacteria. When used in conjunction with Marine Paratonical it is the best way of eradicating protozoan parasites in a reef aquarium where invertebrates are present."

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I do not have a copper test kit, but am on day 3 of dosing the copper treatment which I know is not a good idea not to test, but is the only way to treat the growing case of ich. What I don't understand is that the dosing instructions are over an 11 day period, and then the dosing ends and has no instruction of whether to leave it or remove the medication. I do know that treating ich needs 14-30 days when using copper as far as I know.

Thanks
What copper product are you using?
A copper test kit is a must as you DONT WANT to overdose the therapeutic level
Also what fish are you treating as certain fish don’t take copper well
If it’s NT myxazin, it treats like coppersafe which would be 2.25 level for a full 30 days

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure anyone can answer whether that particular product is good or bad - and no one can answer why no one has seemed to review it positive or negative. However from what I found - there is a marine version - and in the instructions it says "
Anti-Bacterial contains powerful ingredients to kill bacteria. When used in conjunction with Marine Paratonical it is the best way of eradicating protozoan parasites in a reef aquarium where invertebrates are present."
thanks for the reply,

it is the anti-parasite product and non reef safe

1696277064580.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thanks for the reply,

it is the anti-parasite product and non reef safe

1696277064580.png
This was my question also - where do you get copper as an ingredient?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brad!

I am sorry that I can't help you with this specific product; I have never seen this in the UK before- my LFS only sell the Seachem ones (which I have used successfully for QT previously).

I have started buying Copper Power from the US; they sell it off Amazon. I know it's not helpful now- but for the future. That one is great and there is plenty of information and guidance on how to use it on the internet.

On the off chance you're close to Glasgow one of these days, I always keep a spare bottle just in case.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brad!

I am sorry that I can't help you with this specific product; I have never seen this in the UK before- my LFS only sell the Seachem ones (which I have used successfully for QT previously).

I have started buying Copper Power from the US; they sell it off Amazon. I know it's not helpful now- but for the future. That one is great and there is plenty of information and guidance on how to use it on the internet.

On the off chance you're close to Glasgow one of these days, I always keep a spare bottle just in case.
Yeah, annoying that a lot of the major medications such as copper power are hard to find here, the only other medication I could potentially get my hands on is cupramine, but it'll probably be too late so I'll have to use this

Unfortunately I am in the south west, but thanks for the offer!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank and how much didi you dose?
I think it is about 10,000ppm ionic copper and the dose should be ramped up to around 0.15 ppm.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The issue with the mg/xx - is that some say they are not included because they have a lower amount of a different chemical. - but I think we're chasing the wrong thing

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with the mg/xx - is that some say they are not included because they have a lower amount of a different chemical. - but I think we're chasing the wrong thing
Well I did read a thread on this website about this product, and the creator of the thread contacted the manufacture of this product and they responded saying that you should not dose this product based on the copper test results in case you overdose formalin. This product seems to be a different approach of copper medication since it includes the formalin, is formalin effective against ich?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

I've not used that product, but the ingredients are listed:

Copper Sulfate 400 mg/100 mL, Formaldehyde 250 mg/100 mL

I've used both of those medications, but not at the same time. The issue is that copper is dosed by concentration, while formalin is dosed by concentration over time. I do not see how using both together could work out - since the dose would be for one or the other, but cannot be for both. Copper ion is dosed at 0.20 ppm as a constant bath. Formalin is typically dosed at 25 ppm every 24 hours for 3 to 5 days.

The only advice i can give is follow the label instructions and their dosage calculator, and hope for the best.

Jay

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've used both of those medications, but not at the same time. The issue is that copper is dosed by concentration, while formalin is dosed by concentration over time. I do not see how using both together could work out - since the dose would be for one or the other, but cannot be for both. Copper ion is dosed at 0.20 ppm as a constant bath. Formalin is typically dosed at 25 ppm every 24 hours for 3 to 5 days.

The only advice i can give is follow the label instructions and their dosage calculator, and hope for the best.

Jay
Alrighty,
I am following the dosing on the back of the bottle, however their dosage calculator doesn't work

Just to clarify, this will eradicate the ich even though it's not a 14 day minimum treatment?

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I just realised that the link you gave is actually their ich treatment for freshwater,
here is the saltwater version: https://www.ntlabs.co.uk/browse-products/indoor/marine/anti-parasite/

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back