Im thinking of doing the fallow method due to ich

JD117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dartfish and royal gramma have got some white spots (mainly on their fins).

I'm now deciding whether to go fallow and use my old display tank for copper treatment (350L approx.) As I bought a slightly bigger DT recently. Or, to see how the fish manage ich as I'm worried that taking all the LR out to catch the fish will be super stressful (for me and the fish).

My concern is the welfare on the livestock whilst in a tank with copper and with no LR and algae for three months. The livestock are

X2 Clown fish
1 black spot foxface
1 silver bellied wrasse
1 Leapord peacock wrasse
1 Royal gramma
1 firesish /dartfish

I'm thinking of observing for a bit longer as copper treatment can be a killer. I'm also not running UV and would probably rather fallow than set up a UV

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My dartfish and royal gramma have got some white spots (mainly on their fins).

I'm now deciding whether to go fallow and use my old display tank for copper treatment (350L approx.) As I bought a slightly bigger DT recently. Or, to see how the fish manage ich as I'm worried that taking all the LR out to catch the fish will be super stressful (for me and the fish).

My concern is the welfare on the livestock whilst in a tank with copper and with no LR and algae for three months. The livestock are

X2 Clown fish
1 black spot foxface
1 silver bellied wrasse
1 Leapord peacock wrasse
1 Royal gramma
1 firesish /dartfish

I'm thinking of observing for a bit longer as copper treatment can be a killer. I'm also not running UV and would probably rather fallow than set up a UV
If you're sure it's Ich, and there are no inverts, you could try the hypo salinity protocol.

OP
OP
J

JD117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're sure it's Ich, and there are no inverts, you could try the hypo salinity protocol.
Thank you for the reply!

In my current DT there's inverts , corals etc. So I was going to move them all out into my ex-DT, treat them and starve the ich in the DT.

My worry is if the foxface will be okay just eating nori and anything else. And the wrasses. For 76 days even for 375 it's a lot of live stock without much bio filter

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the reply!

In my current DT there's inverts , corals etc. So I was going to move them all out into my ex-DT, treat them and starve the ich in the DT.

My worry is if the foxface will be okay just eating nori and anything else. And the wrasses. For 76 days even for 375 it's a lot of live stock without much bio filter
I don't understand your plan. If you were wanting to do hypo salinity, you would remove the inverts/corals to the other tank - and then treat all of the fish, etc with hypo salinity for 30 days.

If you're wanting to use copper, etc you would move those fish to a separate tank treat with the medication per protocol, following ammonia, closely during treatment. You can use a sponge filter (large) - and seed with bottled bacteria - using water changes as needed.

EDIT - and then you would leave your inverts, and everything except the fish in the tank for 60-76 days

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the reply!

Why would the fox face only need to eat Nori?

OP
OP
J

JD117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand your plan. If you were wanting to do hypo salinity, you would remove the inverts/corals to the other tank - and then treat all of the fish, etc with hypo salinity for 30 days.

If you're wanting to use copper, etc you would move those fish to a separate tank treat with the medication per protocol, following ammonia, closely during treatment. You can use a sponge filter (large) - and seed with bottled bacteria - using water changes as needed.
Apologies for the confusion.

My plan is to move my fish into a separate tank to my main display tank. Once they're in that separate tank I would either treat them with copper, or potentially hypo. According to the fallow methodology, I then can't put the fish back into the main tank for 76 days to allow the ich cycle to break.

My concern is the wellbeing of the fish (mainly the wrasse and foxface) for such a long duration of 76 days.

Does that make sense?

OP
OP
J

JD117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would the fox face only need to eat Nori?
The fox face currently eats the algae on the rocks. I've never seen him go for any live food or frozen mysis. He seems to be mainly herbivore unless he's nibbling when I leave (as he is super nervous when I go close to the tank)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apologies for the confusion.

My plan is to move my fish into a separate tank to my main display tank. Once they're in that separate tank I would either treat them with copper, or potentially hypo. According to the fallow methodology, I then can't put the fish back into the main tank for 76 days to allow the ich cycle to break.

My concern is the wellbeing of the fish (mainly the wrasse and foxface) for such a long duration of 76 days.

Does that make sense?
OK so the other tank (the separate tank - should have very little 'rock' since that makes it much more difficult to manage the copper etc. Other than trying other foods, I'm not sure I have a great solution for feeding the fox face.

The fox face currently eats the algae on the rocks. I've never seen him go for any live food or frozen mysis. He seems to be mainly herbivore unless he's nibbling when I leave (as he is super nervous when I go close to the tank)
Ah now I get it.

OP
OP
J

JD117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so the other tank (the separate tank - should have very little 'rock' since that makes it much more difficult to manage the copper etc. Other than trying other foods, I'm not sure I have a great solution for feeding the fox face.

Ah now I get it.
Again apologies!

But yeah it's a bit of a tricky one as his main food seems to be the algae from the rock

I'm going to monitor how bad the ich is over the next few days but most likely I'll have to put them in a QT, treat and hope the foxface eats a bit more than algae and nori.

Thank you again!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back