Preparing for Ich Treatment (Fallow)

JD117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced a dartfish and rabbit fish after what I thought was a successful QT. However, I introduced them to the tank and the dartfish had small white spots (about 5 on the tail, fins and 1 on the body) about 2 days after introduction.

That was 4 days ago now and I haven't seen another sign but I'm preparing for it to break out and have ordered copper power, hanna copper kit etc.

My question is how to treat and look after 7 fish in a 375 L (82G) system. The equipment fot that QT is as follows:

1. Two sponge filters (combined are suited for 250L
  2. 1 power head
  3. Seachem ammonia badge
  4. Lots of PVC / Fake coral
  5. Heater & thermometer
  6. The tank is drilled so I was going to use the sump and return pump
  7. I've ordered 400 plastic bio balls that I am going to seed in my DT then put in my QT sump (I doubt I'll use all 400 but any future QT I may seed them)
Additionally, my livestock are
  1. X2 clowns
  2. X1 Royal gramma
  3. X1 silver bellied wrasse
  4. X1 leapord peacock wrasse
  5. 1 foxface
My concern is its quite a bit of livestock to fit in my 375 QT tank with no natural bio filter for 76 days and causing a lot of stress on two recent additions (foxface js still anxious) and two wrasses who supposedly don't do well with copper.

Would the odds be in favour of successful fallow or could I being doing more harm than good.

Thank you in advance

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I introduced a dartfish and rabbit fish after what I thought was a successful QT. However, I introduced them to the tank and the dartfish had small white spots (about 5 on the tail, fins and 1 on the body) about 2 days after introduction.

That was 4 days ago now and I haven't seen another sign but I'm preparing for it to break out and have ordered copper power, hanna copper kit etc.

My question is how to treat and look after 7 fish in a 375 L (82G) system. The equipment fot that QT is as follows:

1. Two sponge filters (combined are suited for 250L
  2. 1 power head
  3. Seachem ammonia badge
  4. Lots of PVC / Fake coral
  5. Heater & thermometer
  6. The tank is drilled so I was going to use the sump and return pump
  7. I've ordered 400 plastic bio balls that I am going to seed in my DT then put in my QT sump (I doubt I'll use all 400 but any future QT I may seed them)
Additionally, my livestock are
  1. X2 clowns
  2. X1 Royal gramma
  3. X1 silver bellied wrasse
  4. X1 leapord peacock wrasse
  5. 1 foxface
My concern is its quite a bit of livestock to fit in my 375 QT tank with no natural bio filter for 76 days and causing a lot of stress on two recent additions (foxface js still anxious) and two wrasses who supposedly don't do well with copper.

Would the odds be in favour of successful fallow or could I being doing more harm than good.

Thank you in advance
You are well prepared and should do well. Do not ramp coppersafe but rather get to level within 24 hours. For dartfish, you can start at 2.15-2.25 and it should keep them in check. Furnish added aeration during treatment and remember Dartfish are expert jumpers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JD117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are well prepared and should do well. Do not ramp coppersafe but rather get to level within 24 hours. For dartfish, you can start at 2.15-2.25 and it should keep them in check. Furnish added aeration during treatment and remember Dartfish are expert jumpers.
Okay thank you for the heads up. I definitely know they're expert Jumpers because when I FW dipped them it jumped out of the tub and into my face haha

Just to clarify something:
1) should I add all the fish at the copper level of 1.0 then ramp up to 2.15-2
25 within 24 hours? And this is okay for wrasse as well?

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back