Can I change the salt mix I’m using for water changes temporarily.

Colemansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of different questions but to start off what happened is I’ve been using ESVB ionic sea water mix and I’ve been shooting for a dkh of 9. I am having to dose two part daily, which thank you for your help. You’ve given me so far began dosing equally the two parts an and b of esv 2part system and it is test kit error It seems that made it look like my calcium was going up over time. But anyway I can’t find the ESV salt mix in stock anywhere or at least I couldn’t for a while haven’t checked in the last few days and I ordered a tub of the. Aqua forest reef salt plus which has a dkh of 11.8 at 35ppt. I’m mainly doing water changes to get rid of hair algae and it actually being removed from the system when doing so. 5-10 gallons a week I pinch of algae while holding a siphon in my hand. Anyway can I use up this 30 gallons worth of salt and it not throw things off majorly and go back to esv. Or could I Possibly keep using this salt and still shoot for 9dkh? Or will I need to start dosing for the 11.8 dkh with this mix to keep things balanced? In my head I was thinking maybe I’ll do a water change and it’ll bring up the alkalinity just a little bit and causeme to have to dose a little less. I kind of like this salt mix it just because it’s a great quality from everything I’ve read and learned and it’s not so difficult to mix up, but I also don’t want to up my alkalinity if it’s not going to benefit me in any way.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are perfectly fine doing this! You don't need to aim for the higher alk in my opinion.

You didn't mention the size of your tank, but if you are currently at 9 dkh, if you have 50g tank and you do a 5g water change, it should only add about 0.28 dKh. Likely, you won't even notice :)

OP
OP
Colemansreef

Colemansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are perfectly fine doing this! You don't need to aim for the higher alk in my opinion.

You didn't mention the size of your tank, but if you are currently at 9 dkh, if you have 50g tank and you do a 5g water change, it should only add about 0.28 dKh. Likely, you won't even notice :)
Okay thank you it’s a 60 gallon system including sump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back