Using HCl to redissolve precipitated salt?

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a new salt again that came to my door completely destroyed by moisture. I couldn't afford this for a second time so:

I mixed the salt in a bucket, collected all of the persipetaded solids using a canister filter, redissolved the solids in an HCl bath and then I neutralized the HCl, fixed the pH and the alkalinity, using NaHCO3 and Na2CO3 solutions.

After measuring Mg and Cal, both of their concentrations were a bit higher than usual, Mg was 1500ppm instead of the usual 1350ppm and Ca was 470ppm instead of the usual 450ppm (for the corresponding salt). (That probably is because a small amount of them always persipitates)

The HCl I used is sold as an HCl solution and nothing else. This procedure is much more efficient, way less expensive, way less time consuming and if it works way better than just fixing the Ca Mg and Alkalinity in a completely destroyed salt. Do you think it would be safe to use?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like a big overkill procedure. If alk is low in a new salt mix, adding some alk is going to be easier.

What salt mix brand?

How low was alkalinity before you tried to redissolve solids?

FWIW, my normal IO salt mix always precipitated some solids, and I just ignored it since it had plenty of alk already and the effect on calcium is not that large.

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Figure 1. The residue on the bottom of the plastic trash can that I use to mix Instant Ocean. I rarely clean it out. The solid is most likely calcium carbonate.

1709557606491.png

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is aquaforest reef salt. The thing is it is not just the Alk (which is at around 4-5dkH). The Ca is around 200ppm-250ppm and the Mg is around 700-800ppm without following the procedure. The salt is ruined completely. And the cost to fix Ca and Mg in such high depletion (repeated testing and dosing their respective salts) just make it not financially worth it. That's why I am following this procedure, otherwise it is financially better to just throw away the salt and buy a new bunch.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is aquaforest reef salt. The thing is it is not just the Alk (which is at around 4-5dkH). The Ca is around 200ppm-250ppm and the Mg is around 700-800ppm without following the procedure. The salt is ruined completely. And the cost to fix Ca and Mg in such high depletion (repeated testing and dosing their respective salts) just make it not financially worth it. That's why I am following this procedure, otherwise it is financially better to just throw away the salt and buy a new bunch.

That is either a bad batch or test error. It cannot have come from precipitation. If the starting alk is 8 dKH, one cannot possibly precipitate more than 57 ppm of calcium becuase that would take the alk to zero, where no more precipitation of calcium carbonate is possible.

There is no scenario where magnesium can ever drop 600 ppm by precipitation or any other means.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked my numbers again because it was out of memory. I used to do weekly water changes, using said salt, by fixing both Ca and Mg. I used to dose 60-70 ppm of Ca in order to get it back to 430ppm and I used to dose 140-160ppm of Mg to get it back to 1300-1320ppm. I don't know what to tell you. I have wasted many different salifert test kits (different test kits for sure) during the procedure of dosing and testing in order to fix the salt and I always get similar results.

The last time I did a water change using said salt, the calcium was 350-360ppm, when on a fresh batch it is around 450ppm, and the magnesium was 1150ppm-1170ppm. My tests definitely show the aquaforest's expected numbers at 35ppt (using a good salt batch).

I dosed 6.2 grams of CaCl2*2H2O which raised my calcium by 60ppm (back to 420ppm) and I dosed 28.5g of MgCl2*6H2O which raised my Mg by 120ppm (back to 1290ppm). The total volume of water was 28.5 liters.

I don't know what to say. I have already wasted many hours dosing and fixing salt water again and again. I always get similar results with these salts. The previous numbers for the Mg might be excessive but I have definitely measured Calcium as low as 320-330ppm using salifert tests, based on some of my stored data.

The persipitated salt is not just a few flakes. It is a visible amount. I will weigh it next time I do a water change.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what to say either, but I am 100% certain that it is impossible to precipitate 200 ppm of calcium and 600 ppm of magnesium from new salt water, unless you added more than 150 dKH of alkalinity. There's just no source of carbonate to do anything close to that.

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you think about the HCl solution? For me at least, is way less work. I am only afraid of the purity of the HCl, that's my only concern. The Cas number on the bottle shows HCl only thankfully.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you think about the HCl solution? For me at least, is way less work. I am only afraid of the purity of the HCl, that's my only concern. The Cas number on the bottle shows HCl only thankfully.

I'm concerned about the whole scenario since I cannot see how it can happen, which makes me wonder about the underlying salt mix. There's a lot more to a mix than alk, calcium, and magnesium.

Did you track how much of how strong of an acid you added?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curiously, why would it take so many test iterations to "get right"?

Wouldn't a single series of tests and calculated addition of major elements correct the numbers with possibly a single set of tests afterward for confirmation?

I purchase "solid" boxes of Instant Ocean at a huge discount from a local vendor because nobody else will buy them. I don't do regular water changes, so am not overly concerned about what does not dissolve. In the rare cases that I do a water change, I test and dose, just as I would with "new fully dissolved" salt anyway and that typically has HIGHER levels than what I run in my tank, so there is no "dosing".

Apologies if my comments sidetrack this conversation.

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately not.. I tried this for the first time, just to see if I would encounter any problems so I added a random amount of 14-16% HCl. Then neutralized it by dosing NaHCO3 until bubble formation (CO2) stopped and the pH was around 7-8. In the final salt mix pH Mg and Ca were all in normal levels.

The reason I went with the procedure is because I already had a salt destroyed by moisture and bought a new one. The new salt arrived in the same situation which drove me mad. It used to take me 3-4 hours just to fix the levels of Ca Mg and Alk. And the tests are not cheap either. So I have 2 salts which have lost excessive amounts of these ions. I have had this only happen with aquaforest salts so I have no experience with the results in other salts.

The thing is that in the past, even after fixing the salt, my corals would still get mad when using it. I was wondering if something else persipitated as well which I didn't fix when dosing. But by using this procedure all of the solids are redissolved again, which means that I don't lose any ion.

Edit:
In the final salt mix the pH etc were all in normal levels after I fixed the Alk by dosing NaHCO3.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will let you and Randy discuss the chemistry, it is beyond my pay grade. I will simply say that if it were me, I would just switch salt brands.

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curiously, why would it take so many test iterations to "get right"?

Wouldn't a single series of tests and calculated addition of major elements correct the numbers with possibly a single set of tests afterward for confirmation?

I purchase "solid" boxes of Instant Ocean at a huge discount from a local vendor because nobody else will buy them. I don't do regular water changes, so am not overly concerned about what does not dissolve. In the rare cases that I do a water change, I test and dose, just as I would with "new fully dissolved" salt anyway and that typically has HIGHER levels than what I run in my tank, so there is no "dosing".

Apologies if my comments sidetrack this conversation.
The volume of the water that I make each time is not set, I would always make random volumes of salt water. In the end, I ended making an equation to make the calculations based in the height of the water and the total volume of the bucket. But even then, still, I would add the calculated solid slowly because it is better to underdose than overdose. You can't remove the excess amount but you can always add as much as you want. It would take even more time to make a new batch from scratch just the RODI needs 5-6 hours.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately not.. I tried this for the first time, just to see if I would encounter any problems so I added a random amount of 14-16% HCl. Then neutralized it by dosing NaHCO3 until bubble formation (CO2) stopped and the pH was around 7-8. In the final salt mix pH Mg and Ca were all in normal levels.

The reason I went with the procedure is because I already had a salt destroyed by moisture and bought a new one. The new salt arrived in the same situation which drove me mad. It used to take me 3-4 hours just to fix the levels of Ca Mg and Alk. And the tests are not cheap either. So I have 2 salts which have lost excessive amounts of these ions. I have had this only happen with aquaforest salts so I have no experience with the results in other salts.

The thing is that in the past, even after fixing the salt, my corals would still get mad when using it. I was wondering if something else persipitated as well which I didn't fix when dosing. But by using this procedure all of the solids are redissolved again, which means that I don't lose any ion.

Edit:
In the final salt mix the pH etc were all in normal levels after I fixed the Alk by dosing NaHCO3.

Moisture cannot cause what you are seeing, unless you just did not wait long enough for the clumps to dissolve.

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moisture cannot cause what you are seeing, unless you just did not wait long enough for the clumps to dissolve.
As I have said in an other post in the past, the aquaforest salt when getting wet, it turns from a white color to a light-bluish-green-white color. I have not the slightest idea what can cause this color (no copper leaks or anything, I am talking about a new batch). It could be that the crystals reflect light in such a way that it makes them look blue. I have no idea though.

The HCl batch was mixed for a day before adding the HCl and another day after adding.. I will use it.. Hope it works. Thanks for your help.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I have said in an other post in the past, the aquaforest salt when getting wet, it turns from a white color to a light-bluish-green-white color. I have not the slightest idea what can cause this color (no copper leaks or anything, I am talking about a new batch). It could be that the crystals reflect light in such a way that it makes them look blue. I have no idea though.

The HCl batch was mixed for a day before adding the HCl and another day after adding.. I will use it.. Hope it works. Thanks for your help.

OK, let us know what you observe when using it. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back