Mg & Ca supplements

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, Ca and Mg dropped a ton while fighting some dinos (I won! so far anyway...) and are at 390ppm Ca and 1140ppm Mg. I just need to get both of those up without affecting pH, alkalinity or adding too much chloride or something else. I use All for Reef and just need to get my levels up and make small adjustments from time to time.

There are a ton of products on Randy's calculator - which ones are best for my application? You'd think this would be easy to search for but I haven't gotten the answers I'm looking for. Maybe my google-fu is weak. lol

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with what’s avail at your LFS.
Take the calculator there and pick out what you need .

OP
OP
C

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with what’s avail at your LFS.
Take the calculator there and pick out what you need .
My main LFS didn't have any Mg or Ca that I saw on the shelves and with traffic a LFS stop during the week adds 45-60 minutes minimum to my commute. Would rather order it at this point.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting question:

I just need to get both of those up without affecting pH, alkalinity or adding too much chloride or something else.
I suspect there is nothing available that meets all of that.
Ca additives containing something mainly chloride.
Mg is the same and for example TM Bio-Magnesium has sodium, potassium and 70 trace elements…
1712624328151.jpeg

Extra chloride you can correct with water change over time, the other extras as well.

Regardless good question, I am following along. Maybe there are some alternative methods.

ReeferFive-0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would Reef Fusion 1 work? I have only used Reef Fusion 2 to bring up alkalinity and have not had to dose anything to bring up calcium and magnesium yet.
Reef Fusion

OP
OP
C

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand there won't be no impact to alk, ph, chloride levels etc.
I am just trying to make sure I don't kill anything.

My first thought was to use calcium chloride and magnesium chloride hexahydrate to make these adjustments, but I don't know how much chloride (chlorine?, ammonia?) will be added to the tank.

Then I figured kalk, but I would prefer to leave my alk right where it is.

So then I figured I'd buy a manufactured product to get things in line while I did more research, so that's kinda where I'm at. :)

Last edited:

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Brightwell aquatics magnesion and calcion should do what you need. Just adjust over the course of about a week and you should be fine. I stared out with reef code A&B before I started all for reef, these have no trace elements added so it’s safe to use with A4R.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 40.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back