Salt change and dkh increase

MrZ3no

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a reefer 350, been up and running for 14 months, first corals added about 3 months ago. So recently I’ve changed salt from Red Sea blue to Red Sea coral pro(red). And just realized that the dhk of that salt is around 11.5-12. I plan on doing frequent water changes to bring my nutrient down. Now the issue is my dhk is creeping up… should I be worried? I see a lot of people run different dkh on their tank, I just want to understand the importance of dkh. I have mostly soft (70%) and lps(25%) and a single sps coral. Should I add something to the salt mix to bring dkh down before adding fresh saltwater? Because I don’t want to waste the salt I got already. I’ve added my parameters as well. Thanks! For reading and helping me understand if possible!

IMG_6209.png IMG_6212.jpeg IMG_6210.png

Last edited:

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also using Red Sea Pro salt. There will be many different opinions on this. I have a mixed Reef and run my dKH between 9.5 and 10. I think consistency is important. I use an Alkatronic connected to a Dosetronic, which keeps my dKH between 9.5 and 10.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back