Oxygen in skimmer intake?

M3d1C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is solely out of curiosity FYI.

I wonder, I see a lot of folks running CO2 scrubbing media or running their skimmer intakes out a window, through a wall, etc. to cut down on CO2 entering the tank and therefor elevating PH (or at least making it more uniform with less swings). What would happen, or has anyone tried, using O2 at the skimmer intake and what would happen?

I guess an example would be maybe using an O2 concentrator at 1/2 L/min mixed with room air?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O2 would rise in the water. Maybe too much, if it was pure O2.

pH depends only on CO2. To drop CO2 by half in the inlet air to cause a substantial pH change, oxygen would have to triple and displace N2 and CO2. I think that would not be best for organisms to be in that high of O2.

OP
OP
M3d1C

M3d1C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see a lot of similarities here in comparison with a patient on a ventilator. Ultimately, a healthy patient shows an SpO2 of at least 94% on room air and and EtCO2 of 35 to 45 mmHg. When you crank up the O2, it can and (patient dependent) does displace CO2 making them Hypocapnic.

So, you're thinking in regards to dropping CO2 too much is kind of what I'm gathering?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back