A good idea or ..........

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people both in tropical/ subtropical and temperate zones have problem with the pH of the aquarium caused of excess CO2 in the house/apartment. Heat and cold (depending on climate zon) do not allow open windows, hence the CO2 concentration rise indoors. Even if it is possible to let outdoor air dominate even indoors - the outdoor air concentration of CO2 is around 420 ppm - it means that the equilibrium pH in the water is only around 8.1 - 8.15 - and outdoor CO2 is raising all the time.

The solution of this have been to scrub the Skimmers incoming air with a compound that was developed to take away CO2 in rebreathing techniques. It is basically Calcium dioxide. It works well but it is a costly process and you normally do not use the full capacity of the Calcium dioxide. Recirculation with humid air has been used in order to increase the lifetime of the calcium dioxide.

The optimal use of Calcium oxide and Calcium dioxide in order to catch CO2 would be to use a slurry. My idea is to use an normal air pump with an hourly air volume that is higher than the skimmer use. This pump will pump in air to the bottom of a jar containing Calcium oxide/ dioxide - of the type used in Kalk stirrer - and water. The concentration of Calcium oxide/dioxide - far more than saturation point. The air from the pump mix water, calcium oxid/hydroxid and air in a slurry. CO2 in the air will be transferred over to because of the high pH and The transferred CO2 will form CaCO3 (limestone). The air above the slurry will have low to zero concentrations of CO2. In the top of the jar - the skimmer sucks in the rather CO2 free air. The jar need also to have en opening out to the external environment - normally to let surplus air from the air pump let out but also to let air with CO2 go into the skimmer if the air pump stops. See figure

1703958927412.png

This is only an idea - have not tested it yet.

But is it a good idea worth to test or just one of those which should go directly into the trash?

Sincerely Lasse

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks have done this. @Garf

I would clarify that one can add either calcium oxide or calcium hydroxide and get the same effect. Calcium dioxide (peroxide) is not what I would recommend.

Last edited:

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually saved the thread where Randy suggested doing pretty much the same thing.

I never got to try it myself though, I’m now leaning to try and circulate the skimmer air through a large phyto reactor I’m planning to build in the coming few months.
My hope is that the CO2 would boost the growth of the phyto, while also reducing the amount of CO2 the skimmer pulls.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people both in tropical/ subtropical and temperate zones have problem with the pH of the aquarium caused of excess CO2 in the house/apartment. Heat and cold (depending on climate zon) do not allow open windows, hence the CO2 concentration rise indoors. Even if it is possible to let outdoor air dominate even indoors - the outdoor air concentration of CO2 is around 420 ppm - it means that the equilibrium pH in the water is only around 8.1 - 8.15 - and outdoor CO2 is raising all the time.

The solution of this have been to scrub the Skimmers incoming air with a compound that was developed to take away CO2 in rebreathing techniques. It is basically Calcium dioxide. It works well but it is a costly process and you normally do not use the full capacity of the Calcium dioxide. Recirculation with humid air has been used in order to increase the lifetime of the calcium dioxide.

The optimal use of Calcium oxide and Calcium dioxide in order to catch CO2 would be to use a slurry. My idea is to use an normal air pump with an hourly air volume that is higher than the skimmer use. This pump will pump in air to the bottom of a jar containing Calcium oxide/ dioxide - of the type used in Kalk stirrer - and water. The concentration of Calcium oxide/dioxide - far more than saturation point. The air from the pump mix water, calcium oxid/hydroxid and air in a slurry. CO2 in the air will be transferred over to because of the high pH and The transferred CO2 will form CaCO3 (limestone). The air above the slurry will have low to zero concentrations of CO2. In the top of the jar - the skimmer sucks in the rather CO2 free air. The jar need also to have en opening out to the external environment - normally to let surplus air from the air pump let out but also to let air with CO2 go into the skimmer if the air pump stops. See figure

1703958927412.png

This is only an idea - have not tested it yet.

But is it a good idea worth to test or just one of those which should go directly into the trash?

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From another thread

I have one idea in my mind - without any diffuser - just a tube down into the media

I visit my local IKEA shop and my cabinet for good to have things. - Testrun with calcium hydroxide in order to see if it mix or not

So far - works as designed. Mix very well - its a slurry and water, air and Ca(OH)2 mix well. Now will nest test phase start - connecting to the skimmer. Whats worrying me is if the contact time is long enough, i.e. is the CO2 in the incoming air transferred to CO3 in the solution and finally bound as CaCO3 fast enough. I`ll be back - I miss some tubes for the moment.

Sincerely Lasse

The video

Sincerely Lasse

Asthix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have thought about lengthening the air intake into the liquid with maybe like a plate diffuser which the skimmer intake will pull air from the top.
I'm not sure the restriction would be that much for the skimmer pump.

This way you ensure that the air have completely passed through it.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have thought about lengthening the air intake into the liquid with maybe like a plate diffuser which the skimmer intake will pull air from the top.
I'm not sure the restriction would be that much for the skimmer pump.

This way you ensure that the air have completely passed through it.
I think the main problem here would be to somewhat sync between skimmer intake and CO2 clean air production.
Otherwise you’d either have CO2 left, or depletion rate of the media would be too fast.

I don’t know how significant the loss would be if you produce a little more than what you really need, but I believe it can be significant enough to go from weeks to just a few days.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back