Oxygen

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious if adding a 3 gallons of ro/di water to my 125 gallon all at once would instantly boost dissolved oxygen in a low oxygen situation that could possibly save things from hypoxia in an emergency?

Im assuming that ro watsr thats been sitting for weeks would be oxygen saturated, and that freshwater holds more o2 than saltwater, so adding it would boost o2 a lot no?

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For hypoxia, a better solution would be to get an air pump attached to a couple of air stones and toss them in and crank up the powerheads. It would be a hopefully temporary solution.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The boost to O2 is small, even assuming full saturation of the fresh water. It only contains a little more then seawater, but even if you assume it has twice as much somehow, you are only adding 2.4% of the total volume, so would only expect O2 to rise by a similar amount.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will probably do more harm than good as stagnant water loses its dissolved oxygen over time unless the surface of the water was agitated to allow for gas exchange. If the rodi was sitting for a couple of weeks it will have little dissolved oxygen and like @Randy Holmes-Farley said even in a best case scenario the bump in O2 would be insignificant.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case of emergency I find the best solution to use hydrogen peroxide with some potatoes as a catalyst, air line and air stone. I always keep some around the house for emergency situation.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious if adding a 3 gallons of ro/di water to my 125 gallon all at once would instantly boost dissolved oxygen in a low oxygen situation that could possibly save things from hypoxia in an emergency?

Im assuming that ro watsr thats been sitting for weeks would be oxygen saturated, and that freshwater holds more o2 than saltwater, so adding it would boost o2 a lot no?
What emergency situation are you thinking about?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would peroxide be considered ideal for this use

power out/ labored fish resp/ o2 liquid to help?

Val Shebeko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case of emergency I find the best solution to use hydrogen peroxide with some potatoes as a catalyst, air line and air stone. I always keep some around the house for emergency situation.
Hiw is this done, I read about this awhile ago but forgot.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would peroxide be considered ideal for this use

power out/ labored fish resp/ o2 liquid to help?
If my tank had no power and all backups were exhausted that's what I would reach for maybe 1ml per 10 gallons as visually needed while manually moving the water to disperse it.

The king of diy also did a great video using h2o2 and a potato to make a diy bubbler.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a power outage or a pump stops overnight O2 may drop.
Got it, something life threatening. That sounds as serious as loss of cabin pressure in an airplane.

ideally, you would need a system to detect a low oxygen event that does not depend on external power and the same for a response to the situation. Planes have/had a chemical reactor to generate oxygen. The suggestions to install a system using hydrogen peroxide is heading in this direction. A battery powered air pump is a simpler solution. Now we need a cheap oxygen detector with a switch to turn on the air pump when needed and drop little air masks to each creature in the tank :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back