Ozone Do’s and Don’ts

Reef-City

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up my Ozotech Poseidon 400 ozone generator, ozotech IQ20 air dryer and the mutiny ozone reactor by avast. The air dryer needs about 3 hours to regenerate the desiccant beads (2 hours hot, 1 hour cool down). During those 3 hours with a 30 minute overlap before and after to cover timer inaccuracy between the air dryer and outlet timer, I have a timer that shuts off the air pump pulling air through the air dryer and pushing air through the ozone generator. But I don’t have the generator on a timer. Will it damage the generator to run for 4 hours a day without air being pulled through it? I just don’t want to stick another bulky timer on my power strip. In my mind it shouldn’t be an issue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up my Ozotech Poseidon 400 ozone generator, ozotech IQ20 air dryer and the mutiny ozone reactor by avast. The air dryer needs about 3 hours to regenerate the desiccant beads (2 hours hot, 1 hour cool down). During those 3 hours with a 30 minute overlap before and after to cover timer inaccuracy between the air dryer and outlet timer, I have a timer that shuts off the air pump pulling air through the air dryer and pushing air through the ozone generator. But I don’t have the generator on a timer. Will it damage the generator to run for 4 hours a day without air being pulled through it? I just don’t want to stick another bulky timer on my power strip. In my mind it shouldn’t be an issue.
That’s a really good question. I’ve got the same unit in operation on a couple of systems. They are being fed from a central air supply that flows through a dessicant that we manually regenerate as needed. A few times, I’ve seen the air flow drop out for varying lengths of time with no apparent damage to the generator. I did worry about overheating. I would ask the manufacturer though.
Jay

OP
OP
Reef-City

Reef-City

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a really good question. I’ve got the same unit in operation on a couple of systems. They are being fed from a central air supply that flows through a dessicant that we manually regenerate as needed. A few times, I’ve seen the air flow drop out for varying lengths of time with no apparent damage to the generator. I did worry about overheating. I would ask the manufacturer though.
Jay
Awesome, thanks for the info I will reach out to the manufacturer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back