Ozone

larisa Raykh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to start ozone reactor. Do I need any particular skimmer for it? If yes, which external skimmer for 120G? I already have an ORP monitor .

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just curious. I run my tanks with just live rock, a filter sock, a refugium with chaeto and a skimmer. Why do you want to add an ozone reactor? What do you expect it to do for your tank or it's inhabitants?

OP
OP
larisa Raykh

larisa Raykh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t waste your money with ozone, it’s a complete waste of time and funds
And I would love to guys. I really do .But my corals lose color ..i have good polyp extension and all .Why is everything yellow and discolored? I have changed everything but skimmer. So I would like to get a better skimmer but if thwn I need that ozone I want to be prepared with the skimmer that I can run it with ..does that make sense?

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are very successful reef tanks using ozone for water clarity and parasite control. Some also claim it helps skimmer performance. If you draw it into your skimmer you will need a skimmer that is made of materials that can hold up to the ozone, and is listed as ozone safe such as a Vertex or Lifereef. Alternatively you can inject it into an ozone reactor such as made by GEO or Avast Marine. The reactors are considered more efficient but I think you will need an air pump. I don't think it matters what skimmer you choose if you use a reactor. Be careful and go slow. You can easily wipe out a tank with too much.

OP
OP
larisa Raykh

larisa Raykh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are very successful reef tanks using ozone for water clarity and parasite control. Some also claim it helps skimmer performance. If you draw it into your skimmer you will need a skimmer that is made of materials that can hold up to the ozone, and is listed as ozone safe such as a Vertex or Lifereef. Alternatively you can inject it into an ozone reactor such as made by GEO or Avast Marine. The reactors are considered more efficient but I think you will need an air pump. I don't think it matters what skimmer you choose if you use a reactor. Be careful and go slow. You can easily wipe out a tank with too much.

Would that be that kind of skimmer?
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz-kone-sk222-external-protein-skimmer.html

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
larisa Raykh

larisa Raykh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I would not put ozone into that skimmer. If you still want to try ozone at some point, I would look at something like a Vertex Omega 180i for an internal needle wheel skimmer. The ozone is drawn in on the secondary red tube in the picture.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vertex-omega-180i-protein-skimmer.html

I have to buy an external skimmer due to lack of space in the sump. The biggest skimmer I fit was RO 110 ..but it's up to 120 G . anything bigger would have to be on the outside.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@larisa Raykh

I have and will continue to use ozone. I think for clear water it is unparalleled.

In my own experience the best for each scenario is:

Clear water - ozone
Smell removal - carbon
Parasites - UV

As said above get a skimmer that is rated for use with ozone and just run it for an hour a day. That should be more than enough. I run mine from midnight to 1am.

Turn your lights down the first time you use it or you could shock your corals.

Good luck
Zane

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Geo Reef Ozone Reactor and it's the best of every one of them I purchased.

Given that the skimmer provides the best gas exchange opportunity in the tank, I use the skimmer intake for a C02 scrubber connection.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
larisa Raykh

larisa Raykh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like reef octopus option .I have one now and I love it. Thank you very much.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back