pacific sun ultra wide uv T5

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a used 6 tube t5 unit that came with a few pacific sun tubes. One of them is a pacific sun ultra wide uv, what is the purposed of this tube and is it any good? I have also spectra plus and shallow water. Are these tubes any good for much?

paal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"PS Spectra plus" is equivalent to "ATI coral+"
"PS Shallow water" is equivalent to "ATI aquablue special"

"PS Ultrawide UV" is much more special. I don't think any other manufacturer makes anything similar. It covers a very wide range as seen from the attached picture.

In my personal opinion, this bulb simply has too much green in it and I feel it becomes too dominating. It puts out a strong dark-green/turquoise color. I bought two of them with my lamp over three years ago; they are the only bulbs I have not ended up using so far. All other PS-T5s have been great though. (both the ones you mentioned and the "Crystal Blue" (ATI Blue+ equivalent) and "Pigment Int" (ATI Purple+ equivalent)

With T5s I don't really think you can do much "wrong" though. I guess you can optimize a little bit, but unless this is for a frag tank or something like that, I would simply focus on getting a combination you think look good.
pacific-sun-ultrawide-uv-t5-ho.jpg

paal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it has both strengths and weaknesses compared to other tubes, and it will depend on which others you combine it with.

However, this is just nitpicking I feel. Like I said above; with T5s, I truly think you can just choose whichever bulbs YOU think look good. As long as you have enough of them, the corals should be happy light-wise.
I mean... who cares if you can make the corals grow marginally faster if you don't like the ambient look/color of your tank?

...and that is the only reason I don't run them myself; I simply do not like the way they look, but I'm sure my corals wouldn't mind at all.

FWIW: Currently running 4xBlue+, 2xActinic, 2x6000K

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

• I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Other.

Back