Packing a colony of sps to ship. How to go about it

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an insulated box that fits. Can the coral be wrapped in wet paper to ship or what is recommended to ship one. Lots of branches so I see plastic bags getting punctured.
Thanks, Jim

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an insulated box that fits. Can the coral be wrapped in wet paper to ship or what is recommended to ship one. Lots of branches so I see plastic bags getting punctured.
Thanks, Jim

I would not ship out of water. I know some vendors are doing this with some types of coral but in my mind...Yikes! Get a Tupperware or other airtight container. You can also get a plastic cup or bowl and cut a hole in the bottom, push the bottom of the coral up through and tie it there so the colony is safe in the cup or bowl, then bag it cup/bowl and all in tank water. No need to have air in the bag. It's better if there is no air in the bag. Here is a link posted by member @vetteguy53081 you can check out to get you started:

Cdipasquale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they ship from overseas, they wrap the whole colony in a large bag, unopened, just wrap it so multiple layers of plastic are protecting branches. Then put the whole wrap in and bag of water and tie it off. Now bag it 3 or 4 more times until you feel it is sturdy enough to transport.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use 3+ layers of bags

Rubberband the base to a chunk of flat styrofoam board so it "free" floats upsidedown in the bag.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back