Paint acrylic sump?

ibinyth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has painted their acrylic sump... I've seen where people have suggested using krylon Fusion but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience and whether or not it just comes off in a few weeks/months... And if I were to paint it should I scuff the surface up? I'd like to paint the back, sides, baffles, and bottom all flat white and polish the front on my 90g (72"x18"x16") sump.. it's old beat up and just plane ugly but I don't feel like getting rid of it because it would be stupid expensive to get one made again of its size

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes give it a good sanding for the paint to stick to. If not, during changes in temperature it will cause it to shrink and expanding therefore causing it to crack and peel off.

OP
OP
I

ibinyth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes give it a good sanding for the paint to stick to. If not, during changes in temperature it will cause it to shrink and expanding therefore causing it to crack and peel off.
any idea what grit?

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a smooth finish, 320 is what you want to get. You can go a bit higher (upwards of 500 or 600)

OP
OP
I

ibinyth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a smooth finish, 320 is what you want to get. You can go a bit higher (upwards of 500 or 600)
Finish isn't really important to me compared to it not coming off... You think it would be beneficial to go higher?

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finish isn't really important to me compared to it not coming off... You think it would be beneficial to go higher?
The higher number the grit, the smoother it's going to be, the lower the number is more coarse

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 102 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back