Painting a Hydra 26

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a RS 170 and would like to paint the light and bracket white to match the stand. Would this void the warranty and if not, would a Krylon type spray work?

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about the warranty, but I sprayed my 3 AI Twentysix lights white with Rustoleum High Heat Ultra and they look super fresh. I have a white RS Peninsula 500 and I was super ticked off when it arrived. When it first came out, they didn't disclose the fact that the interior was completely black (as if it wasn't a big deal when you just paid more for the white version). I painted the interior white with Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation paint as well.

Here is the disassembly video for the lights, which makes it super easy to separate the outer shell from the components.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raptor72

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about the warranty, but I sprayed my 3 AI Twentysix lights white with Rustoleum High Heat Ultra and they look super fresh. I have a white RS Peninsula 500 and I was super ****** off when it arrived. When it first came out, they didn't disclose the fact that the interior was completely black (as if it wasn't a big deal when you just paid more for the white version). I painted the interior white with Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation paint as well.

Here is the disassembly video for the lights, which makes it super easy to separate the outer shell from the components.

Thanks. This helps a bunch.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Raptor72 painting the light will without a doubt reduce cooling, as you are covering the aluminum fins/heatsink. For that reason I would personally not do it; LED lifespan is defined by how hot they get.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@slewrock1 Any pics of the painted light?

Setting up ATI T5 hybrid as we speak. Here are pics of the caucasians.
20190112_020907.jpg

20190112_020042.jpg

20190112_020656.jpg

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Raptor72 painting the light will without a doubt reduce cooling, as you are covering the aluminum fins/heatsink. For that reason I would personally not do it; LED lifespan is defined by how hot they get.

What evidence do you have to show that metal paint acts as insulation? If paint had any significant impact on thermodynamics, AI wouldn't sell these lights painted in black or white. The fins are a design feature for increased surface area, which aids in heat transfer.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What evidence do you have to show that metal paint acts as insulation? If paint had any significant impact on thermodynamics, AI wouldn't sell these lights painted in black or white. The fins are a design feature for increased surface area, which aids in heat transfer.

I did not claim that it would be a "significant" increase in temperature. Adding another coat of paint on the heatsink- adding ANOTHER insulating layer of paint on top of the aluminum- would be frowned upon in many industries. Look at your computer's internal heatsinks. Or your AC condensor. You dont want to be painting those :). Aluminum's thermal conductivity is the reason it is used as a heatsink, and coating it in paint would decrease the net emissivity. More heat. Reduced LED lifespan. Perhaps by a nominal amount, one would need to look at many more factors to determine significance.

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the 52s on BRS, it appears that the light is painted white but the heat sink is left silver. [emoji848]

Yes they are. I have two of the hydra 26 hd's in white.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back