Painting an IceCap Pro External Turf Scrubber Black to Stop Light Leakage - Highly Recommended!

DrewFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to use my IceCap Turf Scrubber externally due to the size of my sump and the white body lights the room up brighter than any nightlight when the lights are on

The pics of the scrubber without paint aren’t using Apple’s night shot mode. It’s just a standard pic. There is that much light!

The pics with it painted black are after a three second exposure. It took that long to get enough light. The scrubber is several orders of magnitude darker externally with the paint. It should not have any impact internally as what you see and what lights up the room is light leakage that is not being used to grow algae.

One thing I find interesting is you can really see where I need to go back and add a third layer on the ends. Not sure if I didn’t pay enough attention there or if the ends are just thinner and so it’s easier for the light to get through.

I lightly sanded the whole thing first then used Rustoleum Painters Touch 2x gloss black. I chose gloss because it should clean up easier with its shiny surface than flat.

Great project for under $10

IMG_3409.jpeg IMG_3450.jpeg IMG_3452.jpeg IMG_3448.jpeg IMG_3449.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:cool: Very nice. I have had difficulty with painting these kinds of things but you made it work brilliantly, although I think that term may better describe the scrubber before painting:cool:

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back