Painting the house

ors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning all,
i need to paint the interior of the house but have a moldy ceiling!!
I got someone to see the work and quote me and he said for the mouldy ceiling they would have to use a chemical which is very powerful.
Has anyone used such things around you reef tank?
what was your experience?
what precautions to take?
Also what kind of paint did you use?
Thank you in Advance

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning all,
I got someone to see the work and quote me and he said for the mouldy ceiling they would have to use a chemical which is very powerful.
Thank you in Advance

even scented candles can impact some reef tanks... GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

Is the ceiling drywall? Perhaps instead of encapsulating it with oil based primer or treating with whatever chemical is being recommended - sheet around area with plastic, then take the ceiling down - back to bare studs and insulation which should remove mold. Put fresh drywall up, and while the seam 'plaster' also has a smell/VOCs it is likely far less than powerful chemical smell/VOCs being quoted.

I'm assuming mold is coming from interior of room (aquarium?) and not due to some above leak (faulty roof or bathroom upstairs?) It is going to be equally important to get rid of source of mold for health of both reef AND humans.

All mold is not equal, and all situations are not same. I've been able to scrape, patch, sand and then prime bathroom ceiling with KILZ Mold & Mildew primer but there was very minimal damage there when we treated. Your listed location is Malta, and some paints and oils have transport limitations.

Again, GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HEALTH TO YOU (and your reef tank)!!

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vent well. Wrap the tank with a plastic drop cloth and run your skimmer line to fresh air if you can.

Just had an exterminator fwiw and no ill effects. Run carbon and vent the fumes well. Be quick and careful about it in the area of the tank is all. Just my thoughts. Good luck

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's the entire house your painting (thought it was just above the tank for some reason) I think I'd make a sort of room around the tank with plastic floor to ceiling. They make zippered walk throughs. So the tank has a voc free space. Do the painting and let it dry and vent out the house then do the tank area last... Again quickly but carefully.

I mean if you have to paint.. You have to paint...

mikey1958

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use original kilz on the ceiling please be careful with the tanks..The fumes are nocsious...? Kilz2 is water base and doesnt smell as strong..it just doesn't cover sains as well with one coat...Use painters plastic to cover the tanks and ape it shut as tight as possible...

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning all,
Thank you in Advance

Cultivating Ivy more specific English Ivy indoors around your tank might remedy if mold has become a problem. I haven't verified (what to believe from the net) but English Ivy was said to reduce mold by 70% (relative). I began propagating vines and Ivy to add around my reef tank. Two more troughs propagating at this moment to add for the future. While my post wasn't "paint" specific perhaps this tidbit might help problematic mold issues.

20230121_110550.jpg

Last edited:

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cultivating indoor Ivy more specific English Ivy indoors around your tank might remedy if mold has become a problem. I haven't verified (what to believe from the net) but English Ivy was said to reduce mold by 70% (relative). I began propagating vines and ivy to add around my reef tank.

20230121_110550.jpg
I feel less stressed out just looking at this picture. Mad jealous of the coziness level of this room

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel less stressed out just looking at this picture. Mad jealous of the coziness level of this room

Thank you.
My current living room space lacks non human audio. I recently asked my wife whether she might enjoy adding a bird cage for a life long mated pair of song birds (Canaries). Our living area has gone from A/V electronics to genuine life. My beloved is not ready yet for song/love birds :)
Perhaps one day.... until then the lack of A/V electronics stimulates pleasant conversation.
Enjoy,
W.T.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back