House Painting

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I’m getting the entire interior of our house painted next week. I’m pretty worried about fumes and the tank. I have an airline run to outside the house for my skimmer but I’ve read I should turn it off while the paint dries. Is that true? Or would the airline be more beneficial to bring in good air? I’m planning on covering the tank with plastic for the day and turning off the light to make sure that the tank doesn’t overheat and to make sure that the light doesn’t melt the plastic. I’ll also have a ceiling fan going to help disperse fumes. Anything else I’m missing? Am I overthinking it?

IMG_2962.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re doing all the right things!
If your pulling outside air, why discontinue?
I’d certainly continue that.
When plastic covers a tank, if there’s some small spot for gas exchange, I’d do that.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine with your plan… latex paint doesn’t really have fumes it’s more just a heavy particulate matter that’s water soluble… so sealing up your tank well with plastic will do the trick! You’ll see most house painters just wear a dust mask or rag over there face vs a full respirator or fresh air system like car painters etc.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone, I’m getting the entire interior of our house painted next week. I’m pretty worried about fumes and the tank. I have an airline run to outside the house for my skimmer but I’ve read I should turn it off while the paint dries. Is that true? Or would the airline be more beneficial to bring in good air? I’m planning on covering the tank with plastic for the day and turning off the light to make sure that the tank doesn’t overheat and to make sure that the light doesn’t melt the plastic. I’ll also have a ceiling fan going to help disperse fumes. Anything else I’m missing? Am I overthinking it?

IMG_2962.jpeg
Open windows slightly and cover tank with blankets or cloth tarp and even run a fan across tank to direct fumes from tank but you should fin the fumes to be non-toxic

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all great ideas...I always use plastic cling wrap and cover the tank and sump openings. Leave lights off. Paint normally dries in a hour and there are no fumes if it is latex after it dries. Also if you have a skimmer, I shut it off as it pulls in air from the room or through a air scrubber if you have one. I also cover the tank(black it out) so the fish are not freak out by all the people working...

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget what it's called (been retired for 3 years now) but Benjamin Moore makes a very low VOC paint that is used in hospitals and hotels so there are zero fumes. Arghh! the name is right on the tip of my tongue

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the big names brands all have VOC paint now, you can just use that.
I have used low voc paint several times over the years without any issue.
I didnt even cover the tanks.
Obviously, if you’re painting the ceiling or wall that is up against your tank, cover it so paint doesn’t splatter into the tank.
Otherwise, tank will be fine.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget what it's called (been retired for 3 years now) but Benjamin Moore makes a very low VOC paint that is used in hospitals and hotels so there are zero fumes. Arghh! the name is right on the tip of my tongue
Ahhhh! I think it's called Natura. That is if the advertising geniuses at BM havn't changed the name again.

markron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2962.jpeg residential painters
Hi, just bought my first property and am painting the whole house. We’re painting the ceilings (newly plastered) and all the walls. I’ve read online that you need to use a certain type of paint for plastered walls, another type for painted walls and another type of walls that have been easy-filled. We’ve got a combination of all 3 (See picture)
My questions are:
-What’s the brand of paint you’d recommend? (Dulux seem to have bad reviews?)
-Whats the best way to paint these walls? I’ve seen B&Q selling ‘make good paint’...does this work or is this a fad? Some websites say you have to prime, some say you have to put a undercoat on and some say mist coat it. I’m getting a bit confused haha!
- If we need to mist coat, can you buy this ready in a pot or would you buy brilliant white and dilute it with water? If so, how much ratio?
-Is there a limit on how many layers of mist coat I can put on? The walls aren’t very smooth so I think it will need quite a few layers?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back