House Painting

BenThereFraggedThat

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 21, 2019
Messages
189
Reaction score
300
Location
Maryland
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I’m getting the entire interior of our house painted next week. I’m pretty worried about fumes and the tank. I have an airline run to outside the house for my skimmer but I’ve read I should turn it off while the paint dries. Is that true? Or would the airline be more beneficial to bring in good air? I’m planning on covering the tank with plastic for the day and turning off the light to make sure that the tank doesn’t overheat and to make sure that the light doesn’t melt the plastic. I’ll also have a ceiling fan going to help disperse fumes. Anything else I’m missing? Am I overthinking it?

IMG_2962.jpeg
 
I think you’re doing all the right things!
If your pulling outside air, why discontinue?
I’d certainly continue that.
When plastic covers a tank, if there’s some small spot for gas exchange, I’d do that.
 
Should be fine with your plan… latex paint doesn’t really have fumes it’s more just a heavy particulate matter that’s water soluble… so sealing up your tank well with plastic will do the trick! You’ll see most house painters just wear a dust mask or rag over there face vs a full respirator or fresh air system like car painters etc.
 
Hey everyone, I’m getting the entire interior of our house painted next week. I’m pretty worried about fumes and the tank. I have an airline run to outside the house for my skimmer but I’ve read I should turn it off while the paint dries. Is that true? Or would the airline be more beneficial to bring in good air? I’m planning on covering the tank with plastic for the day and turning off the light to make sure that the tank doesn’t overheat and to make sure that the light doesn’t melt the plastic. I’ll also have a ceiling fan going to help disperse fumes. Anything else I’m missing? Am I overthinking it?

IMG_2962.jpeg
Open windows slightly and cover tank with blankets or cloth tarp and even run a fan across tank to direct fumes from tank but you should fin the fumes to be non-toxic
 
Someone else may provide input but they do make low VOC paint? Are they rolling or spraying?
 
all great ideas...I always use plastic cling wrap and cover the tank and sump openings. Leave lights off. Paint normally dries in a hour and there are no fumes if it is latex after it dries. Also if you have a skimmer, I shut it off as it pulls in air from the room or through a air scrubber if you have one. I also cover the tank(black it out) so the fish are not freak out by all the people working...
 
I forget what it's called (been retired for 3 years now) but Benjamin Moore makes a very low VOC paint that is used in hospitals and hotels so there are zero fumes. Arghh! the name is right on the tip of my tongue
 
Most of the big names brands all have VOC paint now, you can just use that.
I have used low voc paint several times over the years without any issue.
I didnt even cover the tanks.
Obviously, if you’re painting the ceiling or wall that is up against your tank, cover it so paint doesn’t splatter into the tank.
Otherwise, tank will be fine.
 
I forget what it's called (been retired for 3 years now) but Benjamin Moore makes a very low VOC paint that is used in hospitals and hotels so there are zero fumes. Arghh! the name is right on the tip of my tongue
Ahhhh! I think it's called Natura. That is if the advertising geniuses at BM havn't changed the name again.
 
I painted my living room where my tank sits. I didn't cover anything with plastic. I do have a canopy and my basement skimmer pulls outside air.
No problems.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new