First saltwater tank

Nate9292

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’m new to the reef2reef and will be starting my first saltwater tank soon. My question before I start buying equipment is about location of my tank. My basement is the best place for the set up, but it is my general hobby area. One hobby I do in there is oil paintings. I have a small freshwater tank down there that had no issues with me painting but I want to make sure a saltwater tank will be ok as well. I use oil paint and odderless paint thinner to paint maybe once a month or so. I also run an air purifier during painting and drying. Any thoughts of a reef tank will ok near the fumes?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you must have a tank in the basement -- chemical spills have killed many a fish on this forum -- I'd go with something lidded, like an Evo 13.5. They're great AIO tanks and perfect for the beginner. I personally like to have my tanks around where I can enjoy them all the time.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you must have a tank in the basement -- chemical spills have killed many a fish on this forum -- I'd go with something lidded, like an Evo 13.5. They're great AIO tanks and perfect for the beginner. I personally like to have my tanks around where I can enjoy them all the time.
Agree on the Evo 13.5.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Let us know what you decide. :)

happy animation GIF by Disney Pixar

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odorless pain thinner should not put very much organic into the air, though I would not leave it out and open.

I'm not sure about the oil paints you use. Do you know what solvents are in them?

My expectation is that the concern is low unless you expose and allow a lot of paint to dry.

OP
OP
Nate9292

Nate9292

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice everyone. I did look into the Evo 13.5. I ended up just buying a basic 20 gallon long tank last night. I post another thread once I get everything else purchased and set up

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’m new to the reef2reef and will be starting my first saltwater tank soon. My question before I start buying equipment is about location of my tank. My basement is the best place for the set up, but it is my general hobby area. One hobby I do in there is oil paintings. I have a small freshwater tank down there that had no issues with me painting but I want to make sure a saltwater tank will be ok as well. I use oil paint and odderless paint thinner to paint maybe once a month or so. I also run an air purifier during painting and drying. Any thoughts of a reef tank will ok near the fumes?
First welcome to Reef2Reef!
And start a build thread when you have your tank setup!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back