Painting white egg crate black

Pete H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am contemplating painting my white egg crate for my frag tank black. I was wondering if anyone has tried the Kryon Fusion black paint to paint their white egg crate. Any issues with it in the tank? etc.

Just curious!

Rockhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend it, try not to ever put anything that has a chemical base of any short, tanks are way to sensitive, I may be wrong but would you eat it?

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember someone asking about painting the inside of the back glass pane with krylon fusion. The consensus was that it was safe, but probably not the best idea. It was a while ago though... so don't take my word for it.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. You can get black egg crate from Bulk Reef Supply though.

quickreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used krylon fusion to pant stuff for my tank it's 100% acrylic and from everything iv read it's safe and I never had any problems there's some forums on the paint if u search google

Psyko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The krylon fusion will bind to plastic and if you let it dry and cure, it'll be safe. I've tried this before and would not do it again. It's not easy to get it all painted evenly and really doesn't end up being any less expensive then just buying black egg crate. HTH.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bro no point. Just buy black egg create they sometimes leak allot of PHOS into your tank. Black ones dont do it much. ill never use white egg create again :/ :(

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've painted egg crate several times with no problems.
Lasted for years.
Black eggcrate from brs is really the way to go.

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never painted egg crate, but on my first tank I did paint my DIY overflow pipes black. Was never a big deal no issues running over a year. I did a lot of research and found it to be 100% safe.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have painted eggcrate and PVC pipe black using the flat black Krylon Fusion. After it cures it is 100% safe for the tank and you will not have any issues.

With that said, the paint does wear off over time which will leave the paint job spotty. As you clean off the eggcrate, you will accidentally chip it. Frag plugs being wedged in will scratch and chip it... It will look good for awhile but eventually you'll be painting it again. For this reason I have moved to black eggcrate, however I still use the black painted PVC stuff.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back