Pajama Cardinals not eating in QT

smalltownuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got a trio of pajama cardinals from Divers Den(which came the highest recommended through this community) and I set up my QT for them. I do a 25% water change every other day while I dose with Seachem stability and prime to make sure they arent being harmed by ammonia. Water temp stays from 78-79, and salinity is about 38. Everything seems fine, water stays clear and clean, and on water changes I also vacuum the bottom of the tank to remove as much food waste and fish waste as possible. I have an air stone in the tank, as well as a power head aimed semi at the surface, and the fish dont seem to be disturbed by it. My only concern is I havent seen them eat yet. They arent swimming weird, they are acting just like you would expect cardinals to act (from what I have seen on videos and at my LFS). These are my first cardinals so I dont have much personal knowledge to rely on. I have tried feeding them multiple different foods, (chromo boost, formula 1 and 2, frozen mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, etc) all of which are within their diet, however I just dont see them eat. They dont look sick, they dont look too thin, all signs honestly point to them being fine, I am just concerned that I havent seen them eat. I dont know if cardinals will eat off the floor like my tang will if they dont get the food as it drops. They have been in the QT for about 9 days so far, and I havent seen them eat a thing. I know sometimes with shipping and new environments they can be stressed and not eat, so I didnt even try to feed them for a full 24 hours after they went in the tank, but now more than a week later I was hoping to find some more information. They mostly sit around the bottom 3-4 inches of the tank, so they dont see the food falling. Will they find it on the floor and eat it, or should I be worrying about this?

OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to add, I have the seachem tidal 50 filter for the tank which has been the best brand filter I have ever tried. Not that the water is my concern, but just to add that water is being filtered properly. Any ideas on lack of eating, or at least no visible eating would be greatly appreciated.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back