Paly bacterial/fungal issue?

AndyR83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’m trying to determine what’s wrong with my palys and what I can to about it.

When I purchased the frag about 9 months ago, there were maybe 3 or 4 polyps. As you can see below, they grew substantially over time. The original polyps are the ones on the left. They eventually spread to the right, to a different rock, and kept on growing. They were truly thriving for at least 6 months.

About 3 weeks ago, I noticed many of the polyps weren’t opening like they normally had been. A week after that, they began to look the way you see them below. It looks as if many of their skirts are missing or extremely short, the color on some has washed out leaving them very pale, while others appear much darker than normal. Interestingly, there are a few polyps near the middle that still look close to normal.

The tank is about 2 years old and has been rock solid stable for a while. No recent additions or changes. The light is an AI Prime 16HD running the WWC mixed reef profile.

F265D715-77FA-43C9-A8BC-953DECA201C9.jpeg

C957735E-4E7B-47D2-A83A-AF95EAD24379.jpeg

Everything in the tank has been meticulously quarantined, corals and inverts included. All corals were dipped with Coral Rx several times during QT. I monitor very closely for pests like nudis, asterinas, etc., and have never spotted one to date.

Parameters:
Salinity 1.025
Temp 78.7f
pH 8.4
Ammonia 0
Alk 11.4
Nitrate 2.2
Phos 0.17
Mag 1350
Ca 455

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than alkalinity perhaps being a bit on the high side, your parameters seem fine. I know that I go through phases with my zoas/palys - I've had some colonies close up for days and weeks on end and then they returned to normal weeks later without explanation.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back