Paly fragging question

JNoyes1026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 2 days ago I got a deal off of someone breaking down their tank due to a move. I am attaching a video of what it looks like. Anyways the large leather had grown and the armor of god Palys where hunting for light. Some of the tubes are about 2 1/2”. They are very long trunked now. If I frag them if you cut them mid trunk will it work or will it kill them?
I am just curious as I would like to move some to another spot in the tank and maybe some to my other small tank but I don’t like the look of the long trunks.
Thank you in advance!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Edit: added pictures because the video doesn’t look like it’s working

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not positive that that will kill them but I wouldn't try it. Maybe you can frag them and hide the long base behind a rock or something?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could cut the leather and move it, would be a lot easier imo, the trunks will shrink when they get more light/flow
Yep cutting the leather (or just tearing it off of the rock) would be safer and easier. A new leather will grow in it's place but it will be small and take a long time to shade the palys again

OP
OP
JNoyes1026

JNoyes1026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep cutting the leather (or just tearing it off of the rock) would be safer and easier. A new leather will grow in it's place but it will be small and take a long time to shade the palys again
Thanks! This is my first leather and was the main reason I bought the rock so I am a bit scared to tear him off of there. Do you think it would have a strong chance of making it? The leather is a bout 9-10” long and 8” wide.

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! This is my first leather and was the main reason I bought the rock so I am a bit scared to tear him off of there. Do you think it would have a strong chance of making it? The leather is a bout 9-10” long and 8” wide.
Yup, just rubber band the stock to whatever you want it to stick to, it’ll attach itself within a couple weeks

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a stirile Razor blade, cut the leather as close to the rock as possible, dip in some Iodine like Lugo's for a few minutes to minimize infection chances and then use a rubber band lightly around it to hold it to a new rock and it will soon attach. This will allow your palys to grow and possible over shadow the remainder left on the rock and maybe prevent it from growing a new leather. Not a guarantee but it is the path of least resistance!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back