Paly trimming

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orange Paly that I got when I first decided to get corals. Its definitely a fast grower on my rock work. It's basically getting around by extending one polyp and falling onto the rock and budding off that. Let's say I snipped it low close to the rock to slow it down a bit, would that release palytoxin for sure or is that stored closer to the polyp tip? I have gloves and everything but I thought I'd ask.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply picking up a rock with palys or zoas on it and moving it inside the tank can get paly toxins released. I believe any time a zoa or paly slime's, it's releasing toxins.

Recently, late one morning, I was trying to get rid of a serious infestation of a nuisance algae. I pulled rocks out and dipped them for 3 to 5 minutes in hydrogen peroxide from the store. It's 3% so I didn't dilute it. It bubbled like crazy. I wore gloves. The zoas on the rocks were really annoyed and slimmed like crazy. I believe the toxin in the water was released into the air when bubbles at the surface popped. The treatment of my rocks and coral went on for a couple of hours.

I was fine the rest of the afternoon. But after dinner I started to get stiff mussels and aching joints. By the time I went to bed I was felling a bit nauseous. When I woke up about midnight I had to breath deeply to get enough air and keep the feeling I was going to throw up at bay. I did manage to get back to sleep a couple of hours later. In the morning I felt better, but still felt like I had done a serious workout the entire previous day.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RUn fresh carbon in your tank. Wear glasses if you take any zoos or palys or xenia out of the water to avoid any inadvertent splashing or squirting. Always wash hands with some soap immediately afterwards. GLoves may help as well, especially if out of water.

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RUn fresh carbon in your tank. Wear glasses if you take any zoos or palys or xenia out of the water to avoid any inadvertent splashing or squirting. Always wash hands with some soap immediately afterwards. GLoves may help as well, especially if out of water.
Got it thanks

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply picking up a rock with palys or zoas on it and moving it inside the tank can get paly toxins released. I believe any time a zoa or paly slime's, it's releasing toxins.

Recently, late one morning, I was trying to get rid of a serious infestation of a nuisance algae. I pulled rocks out and dipped them for 3 to 5 minutes in hydrogen peroxide from the store. It's 3% so I didn't dilute it. It bubbled like crazy. I wore gloves. The zoas on the rocks were really annoyed and slimmed like crazy. I believe the toxin in the water was released into the air when bubbles at the surface popped. The treatment of my rocks and coral went on for a couple of hours.

I was fine the rest of the afternoon. But after dinner I started to get stiff mussels and aching joints. By the time I went to bed I was felling a bit nauseous. When I woke up about midnight I had to breath deeply to get enough air and keep the feeling I was going to throw up at bay. I did manage to get back to sleep a couple of hours later. In the morning I felt better, but still felt like I had done a serious workout the entire previous day.
I've had minor exposure before too, definitely not fun.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back