Palythoa cowboy

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2017-12-21_9-16-14.jpeg

I've got a ton of these nuisance palys growing in various corners and cracks in my tank. When I perform WCs I get small scissors and go to town. I also bare hand a few just cause. There is no point to this thread other than to calm some of the Paly Toxin paranoia. I've been ripping these out like this for years. My hands get coated with nasty slime, no big deal. Happy reefing!

Maybe important to note. I don't boil them or squirt them in my eyes or mouth. ;) I also don't wash my hands after handling, just rinse inside the tank and wipe off with a towel.

OP
OP
McMullen

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummmmm it's my post. There are a handful of anecdotal stories where the message is to where a hazmat suite (slight exaggeration) when working inside tank. The other side of the coin (thats a metaphor) is my anecdotal story of lots of contact with these "poisonous" devils with no ill effects.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing anecdotal about the toxicity of palythoa toxin.

Roundup is supposedly safe to eat according to its manufacturer. I wouldn’t take a swig of it.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with people taking appropriate precautions when handling something potentially harmful. I don’t think there’s reason to go overboard either. Is there a recent specific thread you are referring to that promoted your post which advised extreme measures?

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious why these are considered a nuisance to you? I’ve got a couple of these in my first tank, should I be concerned they’ll spread like wildfire? I’ve heard of Xenia and GSP being considered weeds to avoid, but not these ones.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, not all pallies have it. Good luck with the cowboy life!!

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious why these are considered a nuisance to you? I’ve got a couple of these in my first tank, should I be concerned they’ll spread like wildfire? I’ve heard of Xenia and GSP being considered weeds to avoid, but not these ones.

Every tank is different. Ugly pallies spreading can be called a plague, if they were attractive it would be called a cash cow. I wouldn’t mount any coral on your main rock work you are not in love with.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some can grow really fast and grow over top of other corals and smother them. There's a really nice (in my opinion) paly called Texas Trash. It grows insanely fast and also happens to have pretty high levels of palythoa toxin.

OP
OP
McMullen

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll be everywhere! They also sting and burn my sps.

OP
OP
McMullen

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing anecdotal about the toxicity of palythoa toxin.

Roundup is supposedly safe to eat according to its manufacturer. I wouldn’t take a swig of it.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with people taking appropriate precautions when handling something potentially harmful. I don’t think there’s reason to go overboard either. Is there a recent specific thread you are referring to that promoted your post which advised extreme measures?

The stories themselves are anecdotal.

A healthy respect for tank inhabitants is great. I knew I would take heat for a post like this. People love the toxin hysteria, but these seem very few and far between. The stories are also "usually" vague.

Yes, "seem few and far between" could be lack of reporting. This post is simply my attempt at a counter balance.

Reef responsibly not hysterically.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think some people are just fickle, and so are more susceptible to a physical overreaction to something like palytoxin...
Some cases could also be chalked up to hypochondriacs.
Some people are just immune, simple as that.

But to tell people to not take precautions is just irresponsible.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A healthy respect for tank inhabitants is great. I knew I would take heat for a post like this. People love the toxin hysteria, but these seem very few and far between. The stories are also "usually" vague.

Yes, "seem few and far between" could be lack of reporting. This post is simply my attempt at a counter balance.

Can you determine which paly species are toxic by looking at them? Your mind will change when you get that one paly you handled, didn't wash your hands then touched your eye. Update this thread after the ER visit.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better safe than sorry seems apropo.

There is always going to be that person or persons that miss interprets your intent and pushes the envelop.

Texas Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some can grow really fast and grow over top of other corals and smother them. There's a really nice (in my opinion) paly called Texas Trash. It grows insanely fast and also happens to have pretty high levels of palythoa toxin.
I'm trying to eliminate that very devil from half of my rockwork as we speak. Would you like some? I've got a bit left. Lol. I wore gloves and goggles as I chipped half my rock away into a trash can outside. Texas Trash was smothering quite a few nice zoas, Red Planet, Duncan...
I had a bit of a headache afterwards, but I'm prone to headaches...

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is anecdotal about these 10 cases from Alaska reported on by the CDC?
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6431a4.htm

You're taking heat because you are advocating for unsafe practices for no particular reason. No one loves hysteria and I'd be surprised if you could find a recent conversation about the subject on this forum where someone was in hysterics about it.

A counter balance is not your own anecdote. You yourself admit you couldn't point to one paly versus another that does or doesn't have high levels of toxins. How are you providing anything of substance? I'm 100% in support of constructive conversations that challenge norms. Those conversations include some factual basis, not just stories about their one experience.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to eliminate that very devil from half of my rockwork as we speak. Would you like some? I've got a bit left. Lol. I wore gloves and goggles as I chipped half my rock away into a trash can outside. Texas Trash was smothering quite a few nice zoas, Red Planet, Duncan...
I had a bit of a headache afterwards, but I'm prone to headaches...
I mistakenly put some in my tank. They still pop up from time to time and get zapped.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back