Does my Sailfin have ich?

tony_A_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These two white dots appeared on his tail. I'm leaving for a trip Monday and I'm really worried if it could be ich. I don't want my tank to get wiped out. Currently don't have my qt set up because I wasn't expecting anything. I'm running UV. Dosed Prazi in the tank following normal procedures with activated carbon being removed and UV turned off. All other fish seem fine. They've all been in the tank together for well over a few months. What are my options? I have copper power and prazi on hand at the moment. Would a bath in either of those be effective? Should I try to scramble my QT together before I leave? I've looked at ordering a product called kick ich, and have even looked to see how soon I can get formalin. My tang in the past has had one white spec like that before, and within a few days it's gone. Now there's two on his tail, and I'm not sure what to make of it. No flashing or odd behavior. Eating and swimming around just fine.

Sorry for a frantically put together post, I'm just really stressed and don't want to lose anything!

This is what it looks like

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two dots. Or maybe others have fallen. IDK.
Right now Id do nothing at all.
Let’s not add stress, unless you have someone who can treat.

I doubt kick ick will do anything, may stress something out.

OP
OP
T

tony_A_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two dots.
Let’s not add stress.
Thanks for the input! I didn't realize that ich can be managed and a dot or two is not so serious. I was doing some reading.

Only reason I'm very jumpy about this is because I've had velvet wipe out my tank within 2-3 days of it appearing.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the input! I didn't realize that ich can be managed and a dot or two is not so serious. I was doing some reading.

Only reason I'm very jumpy about this is because I've had velvet wipe out my tank within 2-3 days of it appearing.
I'm sorry I disagree - It CAN be managed - but -every ich infestation starts with 'a couple spots'. Did you QT thefish? Did you treat them with copper, etc -? If you're going on vacations - there isn't a simple solution - I think most fish will survive Ich - depending on stocking density. When you are gone - Key - Make sure the person watching your tank -(and - IMHO there should be one) - is pulling out any dead fish.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ick not a fast killer, over time, they just are too many for the fish to survive, but you have only two dots of something.

Watch for any change in behavior like stop eating or lathargic and see if dots increase, then disappear, then increase again, every 4 days ish or so, then I might suspect ick.

You have time to ensure your diagnosis and that the cycle continues to turn.

I believe in moving sequentially and only implementing corrective measures when I am sure what I’m dealing with.

Some treat right away and this is not wrong, but, treatment adds its own stresses to the fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two dots. Or maybe others have fallen. IDK.
Let’s not add stress, unless you have someone who can treat.

I doubt kick ick will do anything, may stress something out.
The issue is (if I understand correctly) - he is leaving the tank

OP
OP
T

tony_A_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I disagree - It CAN be managed - but -every ich infestation starts with 'a couple spots'. Did you QT thefish? Did you treat them with copper, etc -? If you're going on vacations - there isn't a simple solution - I think most fish will survive Ich - depending on stocking density. When you are gone - Key - Make sure the person watching your tank -(and - IMHO there should be one) - is pulling out any dead fish.
Fish was QT'd 3 weeks with copper power, paraguard, and prazi before being added. Was also at my LFS for 3 weeks before purchasing it. They run copper in all of their tanks. My parents will be watching my tank while I'm gone. I'm leaving monday and coming back friday. I was thinking of a copper/paraguard/prazi bath before leaving just to buy me some time. But that's all the ideas I have.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reality is you're leaving. At this point - unless you have someone experienced in dosing a tank - it's hard to make a recommendation. The most important thing IMHO - to tell your care person (watching your tank) - is to remove any dead (if any) - as was already said - it could be nothing - fish as quickly as possible

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fish was QT'd 3 weeks with copper power, paraguard, and prazi before being added. Was also at my LFS for 3 weeks before purchasing it. They run copper in all of their tanks. My parents will be watching my tank while I'm gone. I'm leaving monday and coming back friday. I was thinking of a copper/paraguard/prazi bath before leaving just to buy me some time. But that's all the ideas I have.
I would not do a bath. Just let the fish be.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The key question IMHO - is what level was their copper?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got it. Thanks again I really appreciate the input. Hopefully all holds up well.
Hopefully all holds up well:). Again - I would very carefully tell anyone taking care of your tank while you're gone - to watch for any deaths and remove them immediately

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They keep to 2ppm in their tanks.
Just saw this. First - Not sure I totally believe it - but let's assume they do - 2.5 or so is recommended.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - the other question - how long was the fish treated with 2 ppm copper.... <30 days - means kind of 'not treated'

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got it. Thanks again I really appreciate the input. Hopefully all holds up well
By the way - fish in this state do not tend to do well. The less stress - the better

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me, I would do two things. 1. Not treat the fish or move it while you are gone. That’s a recipe for disaster. An ammonia spike in a new quarantine would kill him much faster than ich at this point. Plus, if he has been through 3 weeks of therapeutic copper it’s unlikely he has ich.

2. I would get some filter material, sponge, something going in the tank so that you have it ready if you need to set up the quarantine fast when you get back.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ich moves around and multiplies every 24 hours. I dont trust or recommend Kich ich which is more of a tonic. While im not convinced this is ich, the fish has to be monitored. Treatment if needed will be of essence if an outbreak would occur.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots look pretty large to be ich, but maybe you missed them the day before when they were smaller? Trophonts start off small, grow in size, then drop off the fish to turn into tomonts....in about three days or so.

If I understand, you'll have until Sunday night to decide to treat or not? If the spots have changed location and increased in numbers, you might want to treat. If the spots drop, they may come back while you are gone, but I bet the fish will just have a moderate infection going on by Friday and you can treat then.

Jay

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sand. Doesnt look like ich to me. Is something picking on the tang? Looks like his top fin is munched

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back