Palythoa is expelling something?

John Paul Rai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys!

today I noticed a weird brown string coming out of my Palys mouth. I have many other Zoas and palys in the tank and all are doing extremely well. Does anyone know what this is or could turn into?

BEA91C0E-EDCC-4105-B677-A48396077D39.jpeg 632ED59A-59AD-43EF-A5FE-1251066D5D14.jpeg

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's pooping. Corals will do this after consuming food sometimes. Are you a heavy broadcast feeder? If so, they're probably just expelling excess waste after a big meal.

Only other thing is it could be them potentially expelling zooxanthelle but typically that's coupled with bleaching/loss of coloration which doesn't appear to be the case here.

OP
OP
J

John Paul Rai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick responses, honestly these guys are in my nano tank which I only have a hectors goby in. Therefore I don’t really feed the tank any artificial foods, the hector Goby eats pods roaming around the tank so all I really do is top those pods off every once in a while. Other than that I don’t do much and I don’t really go out of my way to feed the corals. They’re all mainly softies and like a couple lps

Last edited:

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 114 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back