Palytoxin and bleach

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley , given the chemical structure of palytoxin, would drying rocks out for several months destroy the toxins?
I left rocks outside in the air for 3 weeks. After 3 weeks I scrubbed the rocks in a bath tub with tap water, and I got sick. Went to hospital. I don’t trust just air drying. ;)

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading this thread, I now find myself concerned about a recent purchase. Background: a gentleman I don't know passed away about 3 weeks ago. He was separated at the time and his loser adult children decided to just unplug the pumps for whatever reason. Everything dies of course. His wife put the word out she's selling it all for $1500 (270g tank/stand, 150g tank/stand, all equipment for both and everything in his fish room. All of it, but it has to be picked up within three days because the house is being auctioned. I buy it all and put it all in storage yesterday. Included in all that of course is three Brute containers filled to the top with all the rock out of both tank and the large Rubbermaid container he was using as a refugium. I have no idea what kind of coral he kept in either of the tanks so I have no idea what could be dead and rotting on the rocks. Probably has 300+ pounds of damp drying out in those containers no sitting in a closed up storage unit. These stories raise all kinds of concern regarding how to handle and clean used rock. Thoughts?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading this thread, I now find myself concerned about a recent purchase. Background: a gentleman I don't know passed away about 3 weeks ago. He was separated at the time and his loser adult children decided to just unplug the pumps for whatever reason. Everything dies of course. His wife put the word out she's selling it all for $1500 (270g tank/stand, 150g tank/stand, all equipment for both and everything in his fish room. All of it, but it has to be picked up within three days because the house is being auctioned. I buy it all and put it all in storage yesterday. Included in all that of course is three Brute containers filled to the top with all the rock out of both tank and the large Rubbermaid container he was using as a refugium. I have no idea what kind of coral he kept in either of the tanks so I have no idea what could be dead and rotting on the rocks. Probably has 300+ pounds of damp drying out in those containers no sitting in a closed up storage unit. These stories raise all kinds of concern regarding how to handle and clean used rock. Thoughts?

I would just bleach soak the rocks as what's mentioned above which will pretty much give you a clean slate to move forward with.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Bleach bath with 2-3 cups per 5 gallons of tap water for 48 hrs.
Rinse and repeat if any organic matter is left on the rocks.
Then do another bath using a dechlorinator solution for 24 hours.
Then air dry for 2-3 days.

OP
OP
Myka

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloram-X is the cheapest, but it comes in a giant tub. :D AmQuel is pretty potent too. Prime costs more, but really you're not talking about very much cost here.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back