Panels for Metal Stand

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today was a big day, we put a deposit down on a brand new 250G tank and steel stand from Planet Aquariums. My question is, for anyone who has metal stands, what did you do for covering the exterior? i'm thinking some kind of magnetic panels than can just clip on or off when i need access under the tank, but i'm not sure if there are any builders that do this kind of thing? Im not handy with wood, and dont know of anyone local who could do it. What have you guys come up with? Extra credit for Pics :)

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy made a metal stand and had three wood panels made at a local cabinet shop. They are held on with brackets. He thought about magnets but magnets can move when leaned on or bumped.

780C86A5-704B-424D-B278-54D1BEC9CEC7.jpeg

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont want to have the whole stand wrapped in wood like either. im almost even thinking if theres somewhere that i could get panels made out of that same nice hard plastic that the red sea reefer and other higher end tank stand are made from and have strong neodymium magnets inlaid into them??

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like if you use strong enough magnets thats not a problem, but i could be wrong.
I have younger kids and they are always touching/holding onto the stand. I thought I might always be adjusting the stand but I could be wrong. I have some real nice sturdy bed frame brackets that won’t move when touched. All I have to do is lift the panel up and it comes off.
I also wasn’t sure if the magnets touching the steel frame would cause metal or paint particle to fly into the sump every time the panel is moved. I’m sure there is a way to seal things off.

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont want to have the whole stand wrapped in wood like either. im almost even thinking if theres somewhere that i could get panels made out of that same nice hard plastic that the red sea reefer and other higher end tank stand are made from and have strong neodymium magnets inlaid into them??
I didn’t realize those stands were made from plastic. I don’t like the plastic look but that is me. I’ll have to ask around and see if anyone in my area has a Red Sea reefer. A nice plastic would be easier to clean. I was going to paint and then put a clear sealer over the wood.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have younger kids and they are always touching/holding onto the stand. I thought I might always be adjusting the stand but I could be wrong. I have some real nice sturdy bed frame brackets that won’t move when touched. All I have to do is lift the panel up and it comes off.
I also wasn’t sure if the magnets touching the steel frame would cause metal or paint particle to fly into the sump every time the panel is moved. I’m sure there is a way to seal things off.
One benefit on not having kids is you don't have to worry about them touching things :)

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t realize those stands were made from plastic. I don’t like the plastic look but that is me. I’ll have to ask around and see if anyone in my area has a Red Sea reefer. A nice plastic would be easier to clean. I was going to paint and then put a clear sealer over the wood.
Im not sure if "plastic" is the right word. im sure its some kind fo high grade composite or some kind of resign or something? but it just seems much easier to keep clean than wood and without the risk of water damage

txrdnk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at tank me USA, he offers a surround for his metal stands. Don't know if you can buy alacarte, but might be an option

U

User1

View Badges
The long and short of it is anything is game. Really up to you. Similar situation and the room it is in is also my office which I put up some old victoria style wainscot. I am going to take the board I used which is 1/4" thick and scale down the wainscot and use it to skin the stand. It will be held by some heavy duty earth magnets I've found and will not slide off. Sink them into the wood spaced out enough, some epoxy, felt pads, flush, it isn't going anywhere. I've seen some use the frame as the base and frame inside of it and make doors. Lots of choices but in my case I'm just going to skin it using 1/4" thick MDF and then do the normal fill nails, gaps, sand, repeat, then figure out what sort of stain or paint I'm going with.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back