panther grouper compatibility

dru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
supposing a panther grouper were at max size (28") what could be kept with it assuming the tank were big enough

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having kept groupers before, they are not aggressive they simply eat whatever will fit in their mouth. Very similar to a lion fish. Large angels, butterflys, tangs, eels, and any other large peaceful fish should be fine.

OP
OP
D

dru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having kept groupers before, they are not aggressive they simply eat whatever will fit in their mouth. Very similar to a lion fish. Large angels, butterflys, tangs, eels, and any other large peaceful fish should be fine.
what about a 12" bird wrasse?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panther groupers are great at the start but they do get more and more aggressive in terms of eating other fish in the Tank. A 28" one might try to eat a 12" bird wrasse, 30% odds I would say. I don't think he would be successful but the wrasse might not survive the encounter. If you are thinking of buying one that large your going to have to limit the tank inhabitants to predator only.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The largest panther I have kept was about 18in and I had it with large tangs. Not necessarily predators but 12in plus fish. I would personally not feel bad keeping one with some of the large 12in butterflies I have seen even though butterflies are not predators.

I will also say panthers get ugly as they grow.

OP
OP
D

dru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aw man. right now i have him in a 150 w a naso tang, a vlamingi tang, a sailfin tang, a tarry hog, three squirrels, two hippo tangs, a dragon wrasse, a bluethroat trigger, and two bird wrasses and i was wondering who i can keep long term when i upgrade a couple years from now

OP
OP
D

dru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aw man. right now i have him in a 150 w a naso tang, a vlamingi tang, a sailfin tang, a tarry hog, three squirrels, two hippo tangs, a dragon wrasse, a bluethroat trigger, and two bird wrasses and i was wondering who i can keep long term when i upgrade a couple years from now
other than the naso, the vlamingi, and the bird wrasses, they r all small btw

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back