• I have no interest at all in a light meter

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this has ever been brought up in the past, but I'll throw it out there for thoughts and comments. Since I have multiple tanks with multiple lighting schemes, I'm considering purchasing a light meter to measure PAR. Please let me know what you think...

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For which?

I'm okay with buying one and charging a small rent fee to recoup part of the expense, say $10 for a week or something. The money one would potentially save with lighting and positioning corals would make it well worth the money. Although I'm not against splitting it with a few people as long as I could use it when I wanted it.

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard he has one. I PMed him weeks ago asking how his tank is now and no response. Maybe he'd want to sell if he's getting out...

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For which?

I'm okay with buying one and charging a small rent fee to recoup part of the expense, say $10 for a week or something. The money one would potentially save with lighting and positioning corals would make it well worth the money. Although I'm not against splitting it with a few people as long as I could use it when I wanted it.

I'm in for buying and sharing.

as long as I could use it when I wanted it

This is the biggest factor. Availability (within reason) would be enough for me to be interested in going in on buying one and sharing. It would also depend on the amount of people that go in on it.

Jeremy

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. I figured if 5 or 6 wanted to get in it could be a very affordable advantage. And we can swap it around at the meets.

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would have to rent it...for between xmas and the 150 getting set up my cash flow till next year is all sucked up..but i would love to use it once my 150 is up to see what my radiums run with for par at 31" of water

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we seem to be pretty split on how to do this. If I purchased one, what does everyone think would be fair for a rental price and for how long? I want it to be reasonable and available. We don't seem to have enough people to buy and share between a few of us.

$10/week sound fair? You break it you buy it? Deposit - reasonable to ask for one?

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$10/week sound fair? You break it you buy it? Deposit - reasonable to ask for one?

Sounds fair to me! I'd have to mail it back and forth to you since I'm a bit of a ways away.

Did you by chance check with Al to see if he has a par meter? Maybe he would sell or rent. I thought I remember him talking about some par readings he had taken, but that was quite a while ago.

Jeremy

Cuda

Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no interest at all in a light meter. The people that mess w/ their tank the most seem to have all the issues. If you change bulbs regular who needs it? Is it going to change the world on the average home tank? I just do research on the bulbs here.

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no interest at all in a light meter. The people that mess w/ their tank the most seem to have all the issues. If you change bulbs regular who needs it? Is it going to change the world on the average home tank? I just do research on the bulbs here.

Getting PAR readings in various locations throughout your tank can be instrumental in coral placement. That's why I'm interested. Depending on the type of pendants you have, their area of coverage, and their proximity to the waters surface, there can be significant varying PAR readings throughout your tank. Not to mention a PAR reading can also help indicate when a bulb change is necessary. You'll get none of that by simply reading info in a thread.

Jeremy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back