PAR readings help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Akida17th
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Akida17th

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 31, 2014
Messages
969
Reaction score
323
Location
Reefadelphia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I borrowed a quantum par meter from work (not waterproof) and I've been concerned since I changed from Radion pro's at 40%. I have the fixture 11" above the water surface and my par readings at the water surface is only 320 which I think is crazy low. I'm running an ATI 24 watt bulb 5 ATI blue+ 2 ATI coral+ and ATI purple+. Since I ran LED's I never was concerned about par levels but now I'm running T5's I'd like to know what is a good range. I have a mixed reef at the moment with acans, chalices, favias, mushrooms, anemones (gigantea carpet, bta's) and some sps (montis and stylos as of now). So I can't get readings at bottom of tank due to the sensor not being waterproof. Is 320 at the top of my tank optimum? I have a 30x30x24 but a 4" sand bed so corals are at most 20" below water surface. Should I drop the fixture down more? I'd love to hear some feedback since I'm new to arranging par levels. Thanks
 
Dropped at 7" it was only at 390 but ati claims that's accurate and will grow any corals or nems. I have a gig I'm there now who needs high light and doing well.
 
Welp,if its working, no reason to mess with it. But man that number is low.
 
I know maybe the par meter isn't accurate. It's a hydroponics quantum par meter but I don't see why that wouldt matter.
 
i used that same one and got 600 at 1" below the surface.

i know it is inaccurate though. i think i toned it down so it is 400 at the surface according to that par meter.

my red planet is supposedly getting only 150 par and there isnt a spec of green on it after 2 weeks.

just go off the corals. thats the only meter you need.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new