PAR requirements

Stoneyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone had opinions and or know of any threads about PAR readings in an sps tank. I rented a PAR meter and im trying to get the cliffnotes on what to aim for as far as coral placement.

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting do you use? I have learned that par meters are fairly useless for LEDs.

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a little tricky because even if you had all SPS each coral has a preferred par
I general I'd say this is the range I use for corals when using my par meter

Lps 40-120

Zoas 40-120

Montipora 60-180

Acros 160-400+

That would be the lowest to highest I would recommend for those corals somewhere in the middle is probable best and you will find exceptions to those numbers but that should be a good reference to go by

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting do you use? I have learned that par meters are fairly useless for LEDs.

This is not true at all according to what I've read and my use of a par meter for years with all types of lighting there is no deference other than the optics used on LEDs can cause uneven light but the light it's self is not any harder for the par meter to read unless it's outside the range of Photosynthesis and would then be of no benefit to the coral

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back