PAR38 bulbs for a Frag tank

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many and what brand of par38 bulbs would you recommend to me for a 24"x20"x8" frag tank? I want to lower the powerconsumption on that tank while still keeping par up.

barbianj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a Rapid LED 7 diode on a 30 breeder for around a month now. This one: http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-141/(New)-7-LED-PAR38/Detail The fixture is 27" above the coral, with a PAR of 160 in the center, and a PAR of 60 at a 14" diameter. Acans grow very well in the 60 area, any closer in and they close up. There is a RP frag and another unknown SPS in the center, with a couple of chalices beyond the 14" mark. Everything is growing better and with better color than in the DT with a six bulb TEK with ATI bulbs. Both tanks are plumbed together. Lowering the fixture to 23" gave me a PAR of 260 in the center, and 60 at a 12" diameter.

I figure that with three of those bulbs over the 30 breeder, I can grow a wide variety of corals, just not all SPS. I am considering the Orphek PR25 PAR 38 next.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 would work but will not reach the entire 20" width, i would do 3 or 4
each will cover a 12 x 12 area ONLY - LED's don't do spread
this will give you a nice choice of placement = high PAR directly under and lowering as you move away
i would get evils 60* 14 K

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rapidled with 60 degree optics is a very good option. The inclusion of a warm white led improves color rendition.

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 would work but will not reach the entire 20" width, i would do 3 or 4
each will cover a 12 x 12 area ONLY - LED's don't do spread
this will give you a nice choice of placement = high PAR directly under and lowering as you move away
i would get evils 60* 14 K

I will look in to those leds as well. My plan is to put zoas and chalices on the outside followed by lps on the next inner circle. Then sps in the center.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you might be able to get away with one Orphek pendant, but at that price you could get an evolution UFO.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many and what brand of par38 bulbs would you recommend to me for a 24"x20"x8" frag tank? I want to lower the powerconsumption on that tank while still keeping par up.

Have you considered doing a DIY fixture? At that size tank it would be better to use a heatsink and then spread the LEDs out and get the whole unit covered with light and make the most of it so nothing goes into the dark corners.

a 12" heatsink with 70 or 80 degree lenses and a 12 LED kit will give you better coverage. But for a frag tank / grow out tank I would like to see more LEDs on it, closer to 24 LEDs. As your light demands increase you can add more LEDs.

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered doing a DIY fixture? At that size tank it would be better to use a heatsink and then spread the LEDs out and get the whole unit covered with light and make the most of it so nothing goes into the dark corners.

a 12" heatsink with 70 or 80 degree lenses and a 12 LED kit will give you better coverage. But for a frag tank / grow out tank I would like to see more LEDs on it, closer to 24 LEDs. As your light demands increase you can add more LEDs.

I have debated building my own led light, but I currently don't have the time to build one properly.

I debated the orphek pendent for a while as well. i came to the conclusion that for $850 a pop i would buy two and put them on my 75. My frag tank shouldn't have prettier lights than my DT. Right?

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have debated building my own led light, but I currently don't have the time to build one properly.

I debated the orphek pendent for a while as well. i came to the conclusion that for $850 a pop i would buy two and put them on my 75. My frag tank shouldn't have prettier lights than my DT. Right?

If you have 15 minutes you can definitely tackle it.
[video=youtube;IOQBIlwBiic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOQBIlwBiic[/video]

Now going from the PAR bulbs to an orphek is a huge jump.
60LED based fixture you are looking for 400wMH performance.

Using Reef Spectrum Cree LEDs we priced it out at
if you were to DIY it.

For the cost of two orpheks and some of your time you could put two of these and put them over your DT and have enough money leftover from the savings to do your frag tank for free.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He makes a strong argument.

The orphek I was referring to is the par lamp with 12 LEDs. It claims to have similar par and spread as a 150w halide.

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have 15 minutes you can definitely tackle it.
[video=youtube;IOQBIlwBiic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOQBIlwBiic[/video]

Now going from the PAR bulbs to an orphek is a huge jump.
60LED based fixture you are looking for 400wMH performance.

Using Reef Spectrum Cree LEDs we priced it out at
if you were to DIY it.

For the cost of two orpheks and some of your time you could put two of these and put them over your DT and have enough money leftover from the savings to do your frag tank for free.

Hmm, I always thought I had to tap the heatsink. Do some sodering, install fans, powdercoat the heatsink as well, then hang it. That looks simple enough.

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He makes a strong argument.

The orphek I was referring to is the par lamp with 12 LEDs. It claims to have similar par and spread as a 150w halide.

I forgot they came out with those bulbs. When I read orphek, I instantly thought of the fixture. Those bulbs are very bright and I like how the diodes were designed for reefkeeping.

barbianj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot they came out with those bulbs. When I read orphek, I instantly thought of the fixture. Those bulbs are very bright and I like how the diodes were designed for reefkeeping.

That was the Orphek PAR bulb I was talking about. I used the Rapid LED bulb because I wanted to see for myself how a LED would perform before making a fixture. When I get to that point, the PAR bulbs can always be used on another tank or as a supplemental spotlight. I would have gone with the Orphek if it was out at the time.

The bulb that I have has the 60 degree optics. Last December, I bought a Rapid LED PAR 30 for my wife's orchids. It gave just enough light with a good spread to help in blooming during the winter.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Orphek is a nice bulb. Interesting how they put two uv diodes in there. At that price you could get two rapid bulbs. It just depends on what type of look you are going for: the orphek will be a crisp blue white and the rapid will be much warmer.

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Orphek is a nice bulb. Interesting how they put two uv diodes in there. At that price you could get two rapid bulbs. It just depends on what type of look you are going for: the orphek will be a crisp blue white and the rapid will be much warmer.

Since this is a frag tank i am not worried much about looks, but results and quality.

Back