Radion G4 still viable?

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a bit new to wanting to keep Radion's, I saw threads from the past saying that They're still good and their the best light, even when compared to the new G6 but is that true? ive been wanting to buy them for my 60g reef and not sure if they're still worth buying at a good price, or if i should wait until the G5/G6 become a lower value.

and would also like to ask how many xr15's I would need for a 36"x20"x20" tank, for G4 if they're still good to use

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bit of a complicated question. Yes, I feel they are one of the best versions of the light out there. I recently just bought a new in box one that was in the back storage of my LFS. The issue with buying used is you have to be careful with home many hours it has been used and with what intensity. A new G4 vs a new G6, lets say the G4 test out better than the G6. But a 5 year old G4 may not test out as well. You also have to look at things like the G4 fan/air flow pattern is harder on the electronics than the G5/G6. Plus there is the accessories issue. If you are just hanging a straight G4 that is fine, but arms, diffusers, light shades, etc are no longer made. Yes there are work arounds, but it is something for consideration.
Any of the three lights will grow coral with great results, there is risk buying used, a deal is not a deal if the light breaks down in a year.
As far as how many lights you need? It depends on what your growing.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bit of a complicated question. Yes, I feel they are one of the best versions of the light out there. I recently just bought a new in box one that was in the back storage of my LFS. The issue with buying used is you have to be careful with home many hours it has been used and with what intensity. A new G4 vs a new G6, lets say the G4 test out better than the G6. But a 5 year old G4 may not test out as well. You also have to look at things like the G4 fan/air flow pattern is harder on the electronics than the G5/G6. Plus there is the accessories issue. If you are just hanging a straight G4 that is fine, but arms, diffusers, light shades, etc are no longer made. Yes there are work arounds, but it is something for consideration.
Any of the three lights will grow coral with great results, there is risk buying used, a deal is not a deal if the light breaks down in a year.
As far as how many lights you need? It depends on what your growing.
Thank you, that was very helpful and makes me feel better in choosing a light that hasn’t been that used, I will do a mixed reef with as many corals as I can fit, or at least grow in the future.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that was very helpful and makes me feel better in choosing a light that hasn’t been that used, I will do a mixed reef with as many corals as I can fit, or at least grow in the future.
I would suggest a couple 15's or one 30 and two AI grows for fillers.
In reality you can start with two 15's if your tank is new. then start with adding the AI grows (you can do Orpheks or any quality fill bars) but I have a positive experience with the AI blades. Then if/when you get heavy sps you can add a XR30 in the center. that would be the most economical in my mind. As your tank grows so does your lighting. Then again there is always Chinese but something is always sacrificed.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a couple 15's or one 30 and two AI grows for fillers.
In reality you can start with two 15's if your tank is new. then start with adding the AI grows (you can do Orpheks or any quality fill bars) but I have a positive experience with the AI blades. Then if/when you get heavy sps you can add a XR30 in the center. that would be the most economical in my mind. As your tank grows so does your lighting. Then again there is always Chinese but something is always sacrificed.
Thank you! If I’m able to extend my budget a bit I will definitely consider it, I think have filler lights make the reef look more professional

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been spectrum and par studies done with old g4s vs what was measured when new by Jim Graham that had pretty much debunked an LED spectrum shift or intensity loss from radions.

Yes G4s are coveted partly due to the ease of use. G5s and 6s have been riddled with grimlins that turn the seasoned reefer away from them.

Most people I know that are/were ecotech fan boys have sold off all their 5s and 6s for something more reliable. And there's no amount of convincing to change their mind.

Regardless of whether you like the new layout or slight increase in wattage of the newer generation radions, they can't be relied upon.

I do tend to tilt my head whenever I read about people making such claims. That 4s are the better fixture. I have 6 year old G4s (recieved brand new) over my display, and have no intention of replacing them anytime soon. But keep in mind, I still run G1s, and they're still doing a good job.

The underlying issue with the G5 and 6 is mobius. It can't consistently keep a light on a schedule, which means it will randomly turn on in the middle of the night at full intensity and leave you wondering why your corals have suddenly bleached or worse, dead. Depending on who you talk to, this will seem like an absolute deal breaker, while others are optimistic that it's going to work itself out.

In my opinion, G4s are coveted for that reason. And for the record, I have a bunch of 5s and 6s as well.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been spectrum and par studies done with old g4s vs what was measured when new by Jim Graham that had pretty much debunked an LED spectrum shift or intensity loss from radions.

Yes G4s are coveted partly due to the ease of use. G5s and 6s have been riddled with grimlins that turn the seasoned reefer away from them.

Most people I know that are/were ecotech fan boys have sold off all their 5s and 6s for something more reliable. And there's no amount of convincing to change their mind.

Regardless of whether you like the new layout or slight increase in wattage of the newer generation radions, they can't be relied upon.

I do tend to tilt my head whenever I read about people making such claims. That 4s are the better fixture. I have 6 year old G4s (recieved brand new) over my display, and have no intention of replacing them anytime soon. But keep in mind, I still run G1s, and they're still doing a good job.

The underlying issue with the G5 and 6 is mobius. It can't consistently keep a light on a schedule, which means it will randomly turn on in the middle of the night at full intensity and leave you wondering why your corals have suddenly bleached or worse, dead. Depending on who you talk to, this will seem like an absolute deal breaker, while others are optimistic that it's going to work itself out.

In my opinion, G4s are coveted for that reason. And for the record, I have a bunch of 5s and 6s as well.
Thank you:) I really appreciated that insight, I’ll be getting g4s soon and would hopefully even get diffusers if anyone has them for sale
But again thank you it was very helpful
Do you think G4 mobius has the same reputation? Someone contacted me about a mobius ready G4

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my g4 mobius radions. I have a 96x30x25 tank and I run 4 xr30 pros and 2 xr15 pros. I have a sps dominated mix reef but also keep lps softies zoas anemones and basically anything else you can think of. It is very important to make sure you do routine maintenance on any of uour equipment but especially lights. The fans collect dust in them and the cooling vents. I think poor maintenance is the number 1 reason they break. I took all of my 30s apart last week and gave them a good cleaning. It is very easy to do. And I have found the app to work flawlessly so far on the g4s.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my g4 mobius radions. I have a 96x30x25 tank and I run 4 xr30 pros and 2 xr15 pros. I have a sps dominated mix reef but also keep lps softies zoas anemones and basically anything else you can think of. It is very important to make sure you do routine maintenance on any of uour equipment but especially lights. The fans collect dust in them and the cooling vents. I think poor maintenance is the number 1 reason they break. I took all of my 30s apart last week and gave them a good cleaning. It is very easy to do. And I have found the app to work flawlessly so far on the g4s.
great! ill make sure to clean them every few months/monthly and see if i can get them with mobius ready app
ill most likely get 2 for a 3 ft tank, is 215 a good price for them to buy w mount?

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great! ill make sure to clean them every few months/monthly and see if i can get them with mobius ready app
ill most likely get 2 for a 3 ft tank, is 215 a good price for them to buy w mount?
Are they blues or pros? For a xr30 pro that is mobius ready that is a good deal.

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G4s only come in pro and non pro
Yep forgot about that!
Don't get too hung up with that, most G4s only need updated to make them mobius ready.

The older ones may need a newer BLE chip replacement that are easily replaced as well.
Replacing the chip is super easy, I had to do it in one of mine. Great point!

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a bit late but are you able to showcase your tank? do you clean monthly?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back