Paracentropyge boylei

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kigs!
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2007
Messages
1,954
Reaction score
1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope GBD doesn't mind me direct linking;

http://glassbox-design.com/2008/ree...s-wavemaker-bk-releases-the-peppermint-angel/


c-boyleism.jpg


Chip Boyle’s group that brought in the deepwater Privitera Anthias is offering the infamous Peppermint Angel, Paracentropyge boylei, on a demand basis. For just shy of $20,000 you can own the holy grail of rare fish.
So you guys are all going to get one right? :D But seriously though, I'd love to see one of these beauts come to someone in the states.
 
I do not know the exact details, but the general reasons are;

They are endemic to Cook Islands and Rarotonga,
They are collected at 171 ~ 394ft deep.
Cold water species that requires tank temp. of 72 ~ 79.
Survival rate is very poor in captivity.
Most end up going to the Japanese market.
 
As soon as I read the article on GBD, I was wondering "Hmm...I wonder if Mark is going to...get one?" You probably already have one on your way, right Mark? :D
 
lol u do that nate, what would u put them in? your 15 gallon or the 5.5?
 
the thing i love about this fish is that it stays pretty small, even for a dwarf
i believe its max size is similar to the flamebacks and the argi
and i like small fish so its awesome!
last time i remember though these guys were 10k, i guess theyve just jumped into another ball park
 
Yeah, I only paid 15k for the ones I bought. They look so pretty in a school of about 20, it's a shame I only had room for 15. If they keep nipping at my anthelia, I might see what I can get in trade at my LFS. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new