Parameter Advice: Dosing and Management?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kobe6710
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kobe6710

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 29, 2025
Messages
109
Reaction score
45
Location
Dutchess County
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20250819_141835_1C5925F4-929C-4B95-9547-CF01E9E67BFF.png


20250819_141835_4DDA9B72-6724-4E2E-9F0B-A460503EED15.png


Introduced this birdsnest and mystery sps (acropora?) a couple days ago. Thought they were bleaching but I am under the assumption that this is RTN and STN. The acropora took less than a day to turn white and the birdsnest has been loosing its color over 3 days.

My tank is 4 months old
Salinity 34.1
Ammonia / nitrite 0
Nitrate 40 ppm
Calcium 475 ppm
Alkalinity 12.6 dkH
Phosphate 0.25 ppm
pH 7.8

All other corals are healthy and responding well to light. I’ve also tried moving the sps from low to medium flow areas, not much has changed other than those brown spots appearing where the coral was previously fully white (still textured). These spots are larger and more significant in person. Any advice on which parameters may be negatively affecting the sps corals and how to resolve the situation?

I have chemipure elite coming in the mail, thinking about purchasing brightwell amino acids as well. Would dosing phytoplankton also be a good next step?

I started off dosing RedSea AB+ and ReefRoids on alternating days, and have since cut back 50% due to high phosphates and nitrates. Dosed soda ash to raise pH and Alk, dkH rose and pH did not. Any recommendations to get my nutrients and parameters balanced? Thanks in advance!
 
sps corals are more advanced, and acro's are the hardest of all, they require high lighting, high flow, and very stable parameters. They don't like new tanks, and they don't like to be touched and moved around too often. Your nitrate and phosphate are high. Your alk is very high, too high. What kind of test kit are you using?
 
My alkalinity was hovering around 9-10 dkH until I dosed the soda ash to raise pH… never again. I am using salifert test kits
 
sps corals are more advanced, and acro's are the hardest of all, they require high lighting, high flow, and very stable parameters. They don't like new tanks, and they don't like to be touched and moved around too often. Your nitrate and phosphate are high. Your alk is very high, too high. What kind of test kit are you using?
Sorry meant to reply to you directly with my other comment
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new