Parameters for reef tank...

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So guy, my 54 gallon tank has been up and running for a few months now and seem to be doing well. Right now I have 3 fish, 1 shrimp, 3 crabs, and a handful of nasarrius snails in it. I have been waiting to try and add any coral because I wanted to make sure my water parameters were solid and had no fluctuations. I can honestly say that after 3 months I have seen just that. So my question is this... do you think it is safe for me to add a few small and beginner speed corals?

Current parameters checked today are as follows..

Salinity..... 1.026
Ph............ 8.0
Nitrite.......0
Nitrate...... 0
Phosphate...25
Calcium...... 500
Kh/Alk .......161.1/9
Temp..........79°

All input is welcome, thanks

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would start out with something simple try 1 first and see how it does. Calc is high. want to keep it around 420. Nitrate could use a little boost to about 2ish because you do not want too clean of water or you will starve the coral. May I ask what coral and fish you have. I and the community would love to help you with some good ideas for some beginner corals too. Or if you have some in mind.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start out with something simple try 1 first and see how it does. Calc is high. want to keep it around 420. Nitrate could use a little boost to about 2ish because you do not want too clean of water or you will starve the coral. May I ask what coral and fish you have. I and the community would love to help you with some good ideas for some beginner corals too. Or if you have some in mind.
I have no corals I'm there at the moment. All that is in there is 2 there stripe damsels and a dwarf flame angel. As for corals I don't have anything in mind.. I just want to get son simple stuff going. As for the calc. how should I go about reducing it? I was thinking 500ish was good

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Calc will natually go down. Dwarf angelfish might be a problem with SPS corals. Today I trapped my dwarf to see if he is the main reason for my sps corals for not extending polyps. Torch,hammer,frogspawn are my favorite. to start off with.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calc will natually go down. Dwarf angelfish might be a problem with SPS corals. Today I trapped my dwarf to see if he is the main reason for my sps corals for not extending polyps. Torch,hammer,frogspawn are my favorite. to start off with.
Sounds good, I do like the hammers and torches. I may try and find one and see how that works out.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get your water parameters set, may want to try some Acans, probably the easiest LPS corals to keep and very colorful. Hardy and fast growing and reasonably priced.

upload_2017-7-16_21-18-25.jpeg

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get your water parameters set, may want to try some Acans, probably the easiest LPS corals to keep and very colorful. Hardy and fast growing and reasonably priced.

upload_2017-7-16_21-18-25.jpeg
So what should I be shooting at as far as my parameters go? I have seen a bunch of different numbers through researching and whatnot but what are food solid numbers to have that work for you guys?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what should I be shooting at as far as my parameters go? I have seen a bunch of different numbers through researching and whatnot but what are food solid numbers to have that work for you guys?
Interesting article identifying what the "masters" try for: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tank-parameters-of-some-masters.263/ As you'll read, there is a pretty wide variance in water parameters and all the tanks shown are colorful, growing and healthy.

And I share the same confusion, in that I've seen different numbers which tells me your parameters should, as much as you can, align with the particular requirements of the fish and corals you're keeping. I'm not sure there is a set of numbers that work well for all. For example, with acans, many reefers think they do better with "dirty water", with nitrate and phosphate levels higher than "normal."

Some trial and error is involved of course and it's a good idea to start with a few different species of coral to see what does best in your tank. Here's a general guide that might be of some help.

Saltwater Parameters.jpg

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back